Prier silcock turns on by itself

Users who are viewing this thread

Botoo

Reaction score
I have 2 Prier 180 freezeproof silcocks that turn on by themselves, almost to full flow. I have tried to turn them off very tightly, however it happened twice to one of them.

Before I replace them or even try a repair, has there been any suggestions to this problem?

Thanks..

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Have you checked the pressure of the incoming water? too much pressure and a loose packing nut could cause that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Botoo

Reaction score
It's city water pressure that has been the same for years. Did not have this problem until we installed these new faucets. Could be a loose packing nut though. I will check this.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hose faucets.

Some of them had a "quick opening" stem, and since it had a very steep pitch, and a non adjustable packing "O" ring, pressure could open them. They fairly quickly reverted to the old thread, but you probably have one of the old ones. The nonfrostproof ones were easily fixed by replacing the stem unit, I don't know if you can do that with the frostproof ones.

prier-hosebib-terrylove.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks