Price Pfister Diverter problem

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When you install the stem, the white washer is "Trapped" between the valve body and stem, (that is the "double seat"), it does NOT "float" after it is installed. If it is still loose and floats, THEN it WILL let water bypass the diverter function.

Ra1der5

Reaction score
When you install the stem, the white washer is "Trapped" between the valve body and stem, (that is the "double seat"), it does NOT "float" after it is installed. If it is still loose and floats, THEN it WILL let water bypass the diverter function.

When I install the diverter, the stem is completely retracted... i.e. the washer is pinched between the nose and the body and isn't moving. Is there a way the washer might come loose after the install? Should I lube the washer?

Is there ANYTHING else the could cause the problem? It's a 50 year-old home. The only other thing I can think is the previous owner might have replaced it at one time and used the wrong diverter, but then I think I would have had problems before this. The middle diverter in Terry' pic looks exactly like the one I'm using.

Last edited:

Ra1der5

Reaction score
What about the seat? I replaced it, but of course, after installing the diverter, you can't see if it's making full contact. Could that be the issue?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
A bad contact between the seat and the washer will result in a leak in the wall cavity.
Frankly, it may sound like you did everything the right way, but is there a possible way you didn't do it the right way? Yes there is such a possibility.
At this point, you have invested time and new materials already...what to do?
1. Try once more?
2. Call a plumber?
3. Replace the faucet?
They still sell 3 handle rough ins (less than $100) or you can convert to a single handle anti-scald (body and std trim about the same). Plus installation.

Ra1der5

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Sigh ... this seems like such an easy fix. I just don't understand. But having pulled it out and reinstalled it well over a dozen times, I don't think once more is going to make a difference. Time to call one of you to figure it out, and then make an appointment with my therapist.

Tony Morris

Reaction score
I just fixed The exact same problem! Here is what I found. If the water is on when you use the diverter to shower it will not seat properly (at least with mine) so water off, turn to shower (snuggle), then water on. Also my nose had some slight wear that could be felt with my fingernail. I had to tighten down on my value pretty snug on shower to fully seat the nose on to the new nylon washer. The washer will move and spin when in tub mode so this is likely the reason why it doesn't seat properly when the water is on. I rebuilt and replaced my stem and neither worked to fix untill I stumbled onto the shower before water trick and now it work perfect not even a drop if I snug it up good. I'm sure over time the nylon washer will confirm to the nose and making it seat even easier. So in the end I just used the rebuild kit and return the new one. Good luck!

HASmith

Reaction score
I just fixed The exact same problem! Here is what I found. If the water is on when you use the diverter to shower it will not seat properly (at least with mine) so water off, turn to shower (snuggle), then water on. Also my nose had some slight wear that could be felt with my fingernail. I had to tighten down on my value pretty snug on shower to fully seat the nose on to the new nylon washer. The washer will move and spin when in tub mode so this is likely the reason why it doesn't seat properly when the water is on. I rebuilt and replaced my stem and neither worked to fix untill I stumbled onto the shower before water trick and now it work perfect not even a drop if I snug it up good. I'm sure over time the nylon washer will confirm to the nose and making it seat even easier. So in the end I just used the rebuild kit and return the new one. Good luck!
Wow, I wish I understood. I replaced the diverter valve but it does not seem to seat properly. I believe the one that was in n there previously leaked for years. It took me yanking on it to get it out. It is that nylon washer that is bigger just behind the stem. It does not seem to want to go past a lip inside the pipe. But it needs to I think. So the last one put in was just shoved past it. I want to do it properly but I dont understand the problem.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It is that nylon washer that is bigger just behind the stem. It does not seem to want to go past a lip inside the pipe. But it needs to I think. So the last one put in was just shoved past it. I want to do it properly but I don't understand the problem.

pp_three_handle_stems.jpg

The diverter in the center has a loose nylon washer that does the diverting. Without that, it won't divert.

Hoboman

Reaction score

Hoboman

Reaction score
I have the same problem; small amount of water out the shower head and more out the spout. It is a three handle unit. I have replaced the diverter and seat and the problem persists. I tried the last suggestion; make sure the water is off and turned the diverter to shower before turning on the water. Problem persists. My new diverter looks just like the one displayed. What now?

PatrickfromSF

Reaction score
I have the same problem; small amount of water out the shower head and more out the spout. It is a three handle unit. I have replaced the diverter and seat and the problem persists. I tried the last suggestion; make sure the water is off and turned the diverter to shower before turning on the water. Problem persists. My new diverter looks just like the one displayed. What now?
I was having the same problem and solved the problem by using a thinner washer instead of the washer that was in the box (I bought three new stems that were included in the Danco Tub/Shower Remodeling Kit). The picture points to the washer that I replaced. In my multiple trips to Home Depot, I happened to buy a Danco "Repair Kit for Pfister Tub/Shower Diverter", which had several washers, seats, screws, etc. I noticed that one of the washers was thinner and decided to try it. It worked! No more water coming down while the shower is on. Good Luck!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-03-30 at 10.54.18 AM.JPG
    Screenshot 2020-03-30 at 10.54.18 AM.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 176

Ken Sturtz

Reaction score
OK----after many many many times replacing and changing gaskets and nothing chnging, I deecided to sit back and think it through

-First thought----it is not a seat problem, water goes through to the tub spout
Second----the diverters function when turned out is to not allow water past the diverter valve except to the shower piping
Third-----the diverter must be able to stop water from going past the middle plaxtic washerand therefore the middle washer must seal the stem from allowing water to the seat when it is in shower mode
Finally----the middle plastic/hylon washer must not be sealing the stem unit from the main body

I cleaned everything, looked into the main body where the stem is inserted and there in front of the seat is a lip that the second washer seats against (the second middle white washer does NOT FLOAT-IT IS SEATED AGAINST A LIP when the stem is installed, the stem presses the washer against the lip)

MIne had green and white build up---I cleaned it out with a pick (careful not to scratch/gouge) reinstalled the stem and ---VOILA

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks