Preventing sediment damage from municipal water main maintenance

Users who are viewing this thread

Mart

Reaction score
Just wondering what you experts would recommend to prevent damage from sediment after the municipal water supply has been shut off for maintenance and then restored.

A few years ago the gas company accidentally nicked the water main on the road, thus causing a local shut-off on our street. After the water supply was restored, there was lots of sediment that impacted our fridge (despite its filter) and our Delta electric touch faucet. The municipality has advised of a forthcoming water shutoff for maintenance and I’m a little concerned about a repeat or worse, particularly as sediment might effect our radiant heat boiler, hot water tanks, electric bidets, etc.

Is it advisable in such instances to turn off both the power and the water valves feeding those water heaters, toilets, etc. for such scheduled maintenance? And is it best to turn on one or more bathtub faucets and/or showers once the water is restored before turning those valves back on, so as to minimize any potential for damage from debris?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would like a cartridge filter with bypass on the incoming city water. Maybe between 25 and 5 micron.

Mart

Reaction score
A replaceable cartridge filter? On the main pipe inside the house, before the PRV, installed by a plumber? Good idea, but never knew that was an option.

As for flushing outdoor faucets, I should have mentioned that I did that as a first step in that incident above I described, and it didn’t stop the damage.

Reach4

Reaction score
If before the PRV, I would think a wye filter/strainer might be better. They come in different fineness of mesh. I am not a pro.

No filter for the yard water normally, but a wye filter might be used before the split to the yard water.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks