Prevent scale buildup on hot water heating elements using a salt-free water conditioner.

Users who are viewing this thread

superdad

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum, so bear with me.

I have well water with the following specs:
pH: 7.5
Hardness: 25 grains
Iron: 0.116 mg/L
Sulfur: 11.8 mg/L
Manganese: .130 mg/L
Total Dissolved solids: 300ppm

There is the smell of sulfur in the water, and there is a black film on the inside of the toilet tanks which I am told is because of the manganese in the water. Because of the hard water, it takes only six weeks for a considerable buildup of scale to accumulate on the hot water heating elements.

I have two questions:
Since I do not want to deal with a salt-based softener, is there a salt-free conditioner that will keep the hot water heating elements free of scale? I have tried Template Assisted Crystallization and electronic units-- all did absolutely nothing to keep the heating elements clean.

I have read about water filter units that use Katalox Light and that use an injected air pocket to oxidize the iron, sulfur, and manganese from the water. Is Katalox Light the best media out there for removing the iron, sulfur, and manganese? I don't want to use any chemicals, chlorine, or such to regenerate the filter media.

I really welcome any suggestions to solve my water issues.

Reach4

Reaction score
There is the smell of sulfur in the water, and there is a black film on the inside of the toilet tanks which I am told is because of the manganese in the water.
You could improve that aspect and more by sanitizing your well and plumbing, but that would involve chemicals but not for regeneration. That is a one time thing (maybe once per year?). Maybe you could use hydrogen peroxide instead of bleach. It is still a chemical, however.

If the hot has more smell than the cold, you could use a powered anode. That will keep the anode from reacting with the sulfate and sulfur related bacteria (SRB) to keep the H2S smell down.

Katalox Light may not need extra oxygen beyond what is in your water. If it does need more oxygen, you could use air. There are AIO (Air Injection Oxidizing) systems that use KL.

You could use whole house RO to remove hardness, but that works a lot better after the water is softened. Yet it can work on the hard water if you replace the membrane often enough. Not cheap, but no salt.

So all in all, I think an air injection (micronizer) system followed by a settling tank and an air control valve could take care of your iron and sulfur smell problems. It would not handle the hardness.

For hardness, there are people who will periodically swap out softener tanks maybe monthly. No electricity or salt used at your place. The regeneration is all done off site.

I am not a pro. I am just providing some ideas to look into .

Last edited:

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your numbers are not matching. 25 grains of hardness = 427 ppm yet the TDS is only 300? Also, are you sure the sulfur is 11.8 or could it be .118?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Salt free conditioners are very hit and miss. We manufacture virtually every type of salt free conditioner including TAC, magnetic, catalytic, electronic etc. Nothing works as well as a traditional softener.

KL will only reduce iron, manganese and h2s but this is dependent on many factors including dissolved oxygen, pH, water temperature, etc. This will not do anything for hardness and can sometimes make hardness issues worse do to the raise in pH that is common with KL.

Sometimes chemical injection is simply necessary with water treatment. You could try air injection but many different designs are available all with their pros and cons. Hydrogen peroxide is very popular since its byproduct is oxygen.

Scott Sanderson

Reaction score
Website
www.superiorwaterconditioners.com
Superdad,

There are a select few physical water treatment systems that control scale in water using appliances and related plumbing systems. We have been manufacturing magnetic water conditioners for over 50 years and have the most effective design that provides the best results in not only preventing scale formation but also eliminating existing scale formation. I would highly suggest if you are considering going with our type of system that you do your homework in checking out the company and product prior to buying.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
My only question to physical water conditioning is "what test method do you use to determine the effectiveness of the applied water treatment?"

Consider every water treatment method, excluding "scale reduction technologies"
Reverse osmosis, TDS tester
Deionization, tds/resistivity
Manganese dioxide ore based medias, iron, manganese, h2s,
softening, hardness test kit.
Carbon, chlorine test kit, taste, odor
catalytic carbon, h2s/chlorine/chloramine test kits
Anion resin, uranium testing, nitrate testing, tannin testing etc.
Clinoptilolite, ammonia testing, sdi testing, color testing, etc.
I could go on but you get the point. until an effective real test is developed to determine if a treatment method is working as described I will remain unconivinced as to the statement like what is posted above. I manufacture the OxyMag module and it is branded under many names for many companies. Its effectiveness claims are put out by the companies that sell them, not by me. I make no claims. Other scale reduction treatments ie: TAC, NAC, radio wave, catalytic etc. all have their place in this industry but the claims made by some sellers are questionable at best. Be very wary of companies that make claims that their system will remove or eliminate scale. I am currently preparing a very extensive and scinetific test method to determine the effectivenes of over a dozen water treatment methods for scale reduction/control. So far none of the magnet, catalytic, TAC, NAC etc. manufactrers have been willing to submit their product for this test. I have over a dozen companies products so they will get tested, I just wont be able to publish the name of the equipment without their approval.

My magnet module will be tested and... I have tried everyones magnets, so far mine is the strongest, most overkill design on the market but of course the comments always come back thats its not the power but the "insert marketing buzz words here".

When it comes to testable, repeatable scale control, traditional softening remains the standard.

I should be able to post the test results of the scale reduction technologies by Christmas assuming I can find the time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks