Pressure Testing & Safety of Black Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYRob24

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get the opinion of plumbers who regularly install black pipe for gas/propane lines, not necessarily the 'perfect world' opinion. I've read many threads on this topic, and obviously stringent testing should be done on gas lines to make sure they are leak tight. But do most plumbers just install the line and do the pressure test required by code and if it passes the job is considered done?

The reason I ask this is the normal testing that building inspectors or gas companies do doesn't seem very stringent to me. It's not that hard to maintain pressure for 15 minutes or a few hours when there's a small leak. I've spent the last week installing black pipe for propane and easily maintained pressure for an afternoon, but noticed a 1 PSI pressure drop overnight. This was probably influenced by temperature change, but I ended up finding a small leak after soaping the joints. I ended up disassembling and reassembling to fix.

I try to be as much of a perfectionist as I possibly can be, but I'm wondering if I'm fretting too much about having a perfect system. I have a hard time believing that the majority of plumbers will test each connection for leaks if they have maintained pressure for say an hour or two. Tracking down a tiny leak (that may or might not even exist) and disassembling part of the line could add a day or two to a job and end up costing a lot of $$$.

This also brings me to safety. A large gas leak is obviously dangerous, but small ones do seem innocuous considering that there's probably millions of homes with small gas/propane leaks occurring within them on both old systems and newly installed systems. I'm under the understanding that it takes a large quantity of gas to ignite. After all, gas is considered a safe form of fuel for homes and if small leaks were very dangerous, gas lines wouldn't be permitted in homes. I'd also think that gas/propane companies would require annual testing if it were very dangerous even though they are not liable for the lines inside the home.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF the system is holding pressure, WHY would you waste your time looking for leaks? Natural gas is lighter than air so it tends to rise up and seek ways to dissipate or escape the building. Propane, however will accumulate in lower areas and can build up to a combustible concentration which is why their leaks are more serious.

DIYRob24

Reaction score
I'm just trying to understand what the majority of professional plumbers do day in and day out? Is a line just tested for say an hour or so and so long as it's holding steady, job done? As i initially pointed out, that doesn't insure a completely leak proof line as it might take a day or so for a leak to be noticeable on a gauge.

Im thinking the proper way to assure there are no leaks is to set up a pressure gauge and check it daily for a week or so... That way a range of pressures should be recorded given fluctuations in temperature. And if the range changes to a lower amount, then there would a small leak somewhere... I'm just thinking 99% of plumbers that do this for a living wouldn't do this because this is way beyond the tests required by various inspections and lots of money would be lost.... There's also the issue of faulty gauges that slowly let the pressure out...

I pumped my line to 14 psi this morning and it's been holding steady for a few hours. Should I call it quits and consider my system safe? Even though there's a chance there might be a tiny leak in the line that might let out a psi of pressure over a day or two ....

Bannerman

Reaction score
Why revive a 10 month old thread? The OP's profile page indicates he has not visited this site since July 2019.

The distinctive and unique odour each gas is given, is for safety. Even a small leak will normally be detectable and recognizable to the occupants of the building so as to 'hopefully' prompt them to either investigate, or cause them to call the appropriate utility to obtain service.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks