Pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Wilson01

Reaction score
I’m looking for help on replacing my pressure tank. I have a Wellmate WM-9 tank now and I run a 6 zone sprinkler system. I want to stop my pump from cycling so much and a CSV will not work for me. I have already messaged back and forth with Cary and a CSV is not an option. I have a Goulds 7G 1hp pump with 1” water line. My well is 500’ feet deep with the pump set at 495’ and my static level is 120’. Not sure if I forgot to list any info or not. I’m wondering what size tank would be best ? Can I go to big with the size of the tank ? Thanks for any help.

Reach4

Reaction score
In theory, a 30 or 32 gallon tank should be enough. But bigger is better. Bigger tanks have a 1.25 input instead of a 1 inch input.

The best way to stop cycling, is to use enough water in each zone that the pump only delivers as much water as it takes to keep the pressure between the cut-in and cut-out pressures.

I would like to have a Well-X-Trol WX-302 tank. Substantially better, and should be significantly more durable.

No such thing as too big if you have the space, I think. 119 gallons (WX-350) is about as big as the normal ones go.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I’m looking for help on replacing my pressure tank. I have a Wellmate WM-9 tank now and I run a 6 zone sprinkler system. I want to stop my pump from cycling so much and a CSV will not work for me. I have already messaged back and forth with Cary and a CSV is not an option. I have a Goulds 7G 1hp pump with 1” water line. My well is 500’ feet deep with the pump set at 495’ and my static level is 120’. Not sure if I forgot to list any info or not. I’m wondering what size tank would be best ? Can I go to big with the size of the tank ? Thanks for any help.

Sorry I don't remember why a CSV will not work for you? With a 7 GPM, 1HP and a static level of 120' the CSV will only cause 181 PSI back pressure. That is well within the limits of what will work with a CSV1A. Unless you cannot get the CSV1A installed prior to the tee to the irrigation I don't know why it wouldn't work?

But without a CSV you want the largest tank you can get through the door and two would be better.

Wilson01

Reaction score
I was just looking back and it’s because the 1” pipe is only 160psi. You had said with “just the depth of the well I have over 200 psi on 160 psi pipe”. Also the irrigation I installed is off my hose bibs with a water timer and not professional grade system. Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would be less afraid of 200 PSI on 160# pipe than of cycling my pump to death. But it is certainly your call. The CSV really shines with hose bib irrigation and timers as they are rarely matched to keep the pump from cycling. Without a CSV an 86 gallon size tank will be expensive, but will give you 3 minute run times.

Wilson01

Reaction score
The only thing that worries me is if the pipe did burst between the house and well how much of a disaster it would be to dig 100’ of my yard up. It’d be cheaper to wait for the pump to go then change it to a size that would work with what I already have. IMO anyways. Which is a better tank fiberglass or steel ? A.O. Smith a tank to trust ? Thanks for the help guys

Last edited:

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most installers will say that the brand they stock and sell is the best tank, hands down.

Personally, I only install Flexcon composite tanks, not the steel ones. I have two different distributors that carry them.

I can get other brand tanks, including Wellxtrol. But I only sell Flexcon tanks.

It can be a Ford vs Chevy arguement. Everybody thinks their tank is “best”. And then there’s some people with an opinion that only know what they’ve read.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks