Pressure tank winter

Users who are viewing this thread

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
I have a pressure tank in the garage for irrigation. The pipes will be cleared with an air compressor in autumn.
Some of the fittings are plastic threads or polypipe couplers with barbs.
Is there any danger of water staying in these fittings, freezing during the winter, and splitting the plastic?

Generally do the plastic connectors ever fail?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If you can blow the lines out with a sizable compressor and they are properly pitched to drain, I doubt there would be enough water left to fill a section full bore to the point where the freeze expansion would break things. Do keep in mind however that it can be hard to properly pitch poly to drain.

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
How can I connect an air compressor to a 3/4 polypipe fitting or something on the pressure tank?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I plumb in a Tee where I want to put a snifter valve.
well-part-sniftervalve-svo.jpg

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
On my pressure tank tee, there's a 1/4" pressure switch and a 1/4 pressure guage.
Possibly the slot where I have a 1/2" faucet / boiler basics I could instead connect a splitter and add the snifter valve with a reducer?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I don't know what you mean. A snifter valve is intended to connect to water plumbing and normally uses a 1/8" or 1/4" MPT. If you google for snifter valve you can find them in different MPT sizes.

MPT is the same regardless of whether it is used for air, gas, water, or hydraulic oil. Use the appropriate reducing Tee or reducing bushing. If your pressure gauge is in a suitable location to introduce the air, then you can place a small Tee there. If not, there are many reducing Tees available since it is common to use then to connect pressure gauges and/or switches. Many tank Tees come with extra ports with plugs in them.
Possibly the slot where I have a 1/2" faucet / boiler basics I could instead connect a splitter and add the snifter valve with a reducer?
Assuming the valve can take a garden hose, you could get a 3/4" female hose thread to FPT adapter into which you screw the snifter valve or a male air QC.

Attachments

• chrome_2017-09-10_08-49-56.jpg
    chrome_2017-09-10_08-49-56.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 184

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll see what the store has.
What connector attaches from compressor to snifter?

Also, I need to blow out 3/4 poly X 150'. What size compressor is best? Could be more pipes in future though I guess I could add valves to blow out zone by zone not necessarily needing a bigger compressor.

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
Do I use yellow gas ptfe tape or white water ptfe tape on these threads seeing as they come into contact with both?
Or just some pipe dope : covers water and air.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Both would be best. Yellow PTFE tape is perfectly fine with water. It is generally a better grade that your cheaper white tapes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks