Pressure Tank / Toilet issue

Users who are viewing this thread

J Blow

Reaction score
My knowledge of pressure tanks is very limited so what I think is happening (and using the right terms is another issue) may be just a generally uninformed senseless thought....but I'm guessing others can give me an idea of this is possible and what the fix is, if not.

So, have a standard well, small pressure tank setup in a small vacation cabin. I have decent but not great water pressure. After sitting for a couple days, and I think it's when you use the toilet first and no other water, flushing the toilet doesn't trigger a toilet refill. I believe when you run the water elsewhere it then kicks on and fills.

I am guessing that the pressure tank 'leaks down' and doesn't provide enough water pressure at the toilet valve to fill the tank until water is run elsewhere and makes a 'call' for water/pressure.

Could it simply be a bad toilet valve or maybe a combo of the two or am I possibly way off altogether?

Thanks.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
You'd have to measure the house pressure from a hose bibb to know what the pressure is.
And freshening up the ballcock gasket if it is a Fluidmaster 400 series never hurts.

J Blow

Reaction score
So does it sound possible it's just a pressure issue, though? Would it be possible that the toilet valve isn't refilling when the water level drops but then starts refilling after water is run and be anything but a pressure issue? That's what is confusing me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks