Pressure Tank slow to recover

Users who are viewing this thread

Thall

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Gals-

The last month or so I have noticed my water pressure tank is taking 15-20 minutes to fill. I have a Mclean Iron filtration system and 20 year old pump 300 feet down in a drilled well. The business that installed the whole system and well believe that I need a new pump and to set it down further

I know that the pump is old..but my house is on the market, and I have been dumping cash into necessary repairs as well as cosmetics. A few more details from the plumber that came out-

He replaced the pressure switch
We took the cap off from the well and the pump is pushing 100 PSI.
The well was low due to a leaky toilet, but he said my well recovery is good so if that was the culprit, it would clear up- it did not.
Bypassed the filter and same issue.
Ruled out leaks in the house, and from the pump to the house.
He said the pump is measuring 6.8 amps, when it should be up to 7.5+

He said the hydrocharger before my tank isnt sucking as much air as it should- Now if my pump is pushing 100 PSI, i have good well recovery i am wondering why they are opting to replace the pump.. I am wondering if the hydrocharger could be plugged?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I am wondering if the hydrocharger could be plugged?
I would remove it and soak it for a few hours in Super Iron Out. What brand is it? Does it have an adjustable bypass? What is the pressure switch set to for low/high?

Thall

Reaction score
Hi,
I am not sure how much it restricts the flow, or if its adjustable. My pressure tank is set to 50 PSI. It shoots from 0-30 in seconds, and then from 30-50 takes 15+ minutes. Attached is a picture of the hydrocharger.

The guy who was at my place for 7 hours mentioned the hydrocharger wasn't pulling enough air, but never touched it as far as i know.

Attachments

• 20170810_220216.jpg
    20170810_220216.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 1,096

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It looks very similar to my Waterite micronizer but mine is not brass. http://www.wellwaterproducts.com/products/Waterite-Micronizer.html

Under the knurled cap is a bulb shaped valve. Inside the hex cap is a bypass adjustment. If the pump produces enough pressure and the bypass correctly set, it should draw air up to around 40 PSI.

If the static water level is too low then the pump will not be able to provide enough pressure. If the pump is worn it will not provide enough pressure.

As mentioned, remove it, disassemble it, and soak it to dissolve mineral buildup.

Reach4

Reaction score
My pressure tank is set to 50 PSI.
If your pressure switch is set to 30/50, the air precharge would be set to 28 PSI. Air precharge is measured with the water pressure = zero.

I am not sure how much it restricts the flow, or if its adjustable. My pressure tank is set to 50 PSI. It shoots from 0-30 in seconds, and then from 30-50 takes 15+ minutes.
You probably have a valve after the pressure switch and pressure tank to shut off flow to the house. If you close that valve, does it still take 15 minutes to get to 50 PSI?

When the water pressure rises from 30, how long before it gets to 40 or 45 PSI? Are there any other devices between the well head and the pressure switch besides the hydrocharger?

When you say 100 PSI at the well head, is the well head at a much lower altitude than the pressure gauge? I am wondering how you can have 100 pounds at the well head while only having 50 or less PSI at the pressure gauge. This points to a very clogged hydrocharger, which is what LLigetfa is suspecting.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The micronizer has a very tiny venturi to speed up the flow enough to create the vacuum to draw in air. I would need to measure it to be sure but ISTR it is about 1/8 inch so there will be higher pressure on the pump side. The bypass valve setting will allow a little more GPM unless it is closed or clogged.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks