Pressure Tank Repair?

Users who are viewing this thread

RealJeep

Reaction score
I've ran a search but could not find the answer and Google is not much help either. Here's the question:

I have an 80 gallon galvanized steel pressure tank for a well and it has sprung two tiny pin hole leaks in the side about half way up. So far I have not been able to find anything to stick well enough to the galvanized to patch it and I'm not sure solder will either. Working pressure on the tank is no more than 80psi and it's used to collect hot water from solar panels on the roof. I hate the thought of replacing the tank because steel prices have shot through the roof!

I'm open to any and all suggestions...

Otto

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is hard to get anything to stick to the outside. I have seen successful plugs that consisted of a small rubber grommet inserted in a hole and expanded with a screw.

I have also seen successful repairs with a wooden plug, tapered, whittled from pine and driven into the hole. The water expands the pine and keeps it sealed, but it may leak a bit when first installed.

Start saving your money for a new tank because if you have a small hole you also have some thin spots. The hole will grow and there will be more holes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

Replacing the tank is the proper long term solution. Go to the hardware store and buy a couple of boiler repair plugs. They screw into the holes and have rubber gaskets to seal against the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks