Pressure Tank Readings

Users who are viewing this thread

HiQ

Reaction score
Okay this might be a dumb question, but I’m trying to diagnose a failing pressure tank. Empty, it should be 2psi below pressure switch cut in.

When the pump finishing cycling and nothing is using water, it should be pretty close to pressure switch cut off pressure, no? Maybe a psi or two loss due to lines, etc?

Just checked mine yesterday and it was 0 psi. So I aired it up, but it’s probably toast. It should still fill with water and get up to pressure though right? It will then also supply pressure until it drops to cut in pressure before the pump turns back on? Just a much shorter cycle time vs a properly working pressure tank?

Any reason I’d get horrible pressure at the tap and the pump wouldn’t turn back on? Clogged filter after the tank before the tap?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The bladder is probably bad or the air pressure would not be at zero. Even when you air it up sometimes the broken bladder will seal over the inlet/outlet hole and not let water in or out. That should have nothing to do with the pressure switch starting the pump. For that I would check the nipple the pressure switch is screwed into to see if it is clogged. Cycling on and off makes the tank bladder go up and down like bending a wire back and forth until it is broken.

HiQ

Reaction score
Hmm... Okay so until I can get this thing replaced I should just turn the tank off or leave it on?

I’ll take a look at the pressure switch tonight. It’s brand new but maybe it sucked in some crap.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You ask a bunch of questions about how the pump system should work, but you didn't tell us what problem you are having?

Yes low pressure at the taps could be a clogged filter. But what is the pressure gauge saying while you are seeing low pressure at the tap?

HiQ

Reaction score
Well it’s been interesting to say the least. First I had a gate valve seize closed but look like it was functioning properly. Replaced that. Pump primes and pumps water. It was functioning well last night. Then this morning it worked fine for my wife’s shower and I got a tiny amount of pressure for my shower after hers.

Pump wouldn’t kick in (still thought there was enough pressure) so I assume the clogged filter or as you thought clogged pressure switch. I’ll check both when I get home.

I just swapped the filter yesterday so I’m leaning to the pressure switch. But if I open the filter drain line it seems like it has lots of pressure and then the pump will cycle when it goes down. So I’m somehow not getting pressure past the filter or softener or through the lines. Air lock somewhere? No clue.

Pressure gauge isn’t hooked up at the moment (I know I know). Had some issues with fixing all the plumbing and the new pump didn’t have a port for it and I haven’t bought a tee and reducer yet.

HiQ

Reaction score
Genius! Just grabbed one at the store. Hopefully I can figure this out tonight with some more info otherwise I’ll be back

HiQ

Reaction score
Weird. Easy enough fix I guess. No pressure through the main filter in the house. Disconnected it and run water out the bottom. Maybe cleared some junk that must have been clogging it. Back together and it functions perfectly. For now. Haha. I’ll see if I get a shower in tomorrow morning. Gauge is a lifesaver. Who would’ve thought. Haha. Thanks everyone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks