Pressure Tank Q

Users who are viewing this thread

DStyduhar

Reaction score
Hey guys,

We have a 34gallon pressure tank in our house basement and I plan to run a water line to an outbuilding about 200 feet away from the house. Are there any downsides to having the pressure tank so far from this building? Or if you determine how much drawdown you need, what about splitting it up with half-sized pressure tank in house basement and another half-sized in outbuilding. Not saying this makes financial sense just curious about pros/cons.

thanks,

Drew

Reach4

Reaction score
If you want to put a bigger tank in the outbuilding, you will need the pressure switch there too. You must always have a pressure tank at the pressure switch. You would want low pressure drop in the piping between the barn and the house.

If you leave the pressure switch and 32 gallon tank in the house, and add a 32 gallon pressure tank at the barn, there can be effects that cause the pressure switch to not operate as you would like. If you are into electronics, the long pipe acts like an inductor and the pressure tank acts like a capacitor with one end grounded.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 34 gallon tank only holds 8 gallons of water. The pump may cycle on and off a lot. But the pump will push water a long ways if your pipe is large enough not to restrict the flow.

DStyduhar

Reaction score
What do people do in this situation when they have an outbuilding? I assume just a single pressure tank and maybe if the barn is a good distance away, running larger diameter piping to keep friction loss at a minimum?

Reach4

Reaction score
What do people do in this situation when they have an outbuilding? I assume just a single pressure tank and maybe if the barn is a good distance away, running larger diameter piping to keep friction loss at a minimum?

That works nicely. Poly pipe is a good choice for the run, usually. Polypipe conforming to ASTM D2239 has the ID is held and OD varies with PSI ratings. You connect with barbed fittings and stainless steel worm gear clamps. It is larger for a given nominal size that PEX. D2239 makes a nice search term on sites when shopping for pipe. PEX is suitable too, especially if you already have the tools. But 1.5 inch PEX is pretty expensive, because it is more specialty. 1.25 D2239 poly pipe probably has roughly the same ID.

http://www.charlottepipe.com/Documents/PL_Tech_Man/ExpansionandContraction.pdf page 2 of 3 (marked page 57) has info including the snaking diagram.

https://www.huduser.gov/portal/publications/pex_design_guide.pdf actually has the word snaking for you to search for. That document is about PEX, but would apply to other poly pipe.

http://www.pressure-drop.com/Online-Calculator/ is useful. Use the actual pipe ID rather than the nominal diameter.

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
I have an outbuilding about 200ft from my cottage. Outbuilding has toilet, sink and hose bib. Water supply comes from cottage via a 1.25" polypipe. No issues with flow or pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks