pressure tank losing pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

kevin 71

Reaction score
I am fairly iuneducated about plumbing but do have the ability to fix something if i know what is wrong. My wellmate WM-9 captive air tank is losing pressure. Starts at 30 and stops at 50, then slowly lowers in pressure to 30 again, well pump kicks on for less than 1 minute ... repeats same procedure approx every 15mins. I have no leaking toilets and checked bladder pressure and is at 28psi.

Already drained tank and checked pressure... bladder does not seem to be leaking. i do not want to burn-out my well pump so help if you can! THANKS!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Something is leaking!! If you have a valve to close and make sure it is not leaking in the house, then the leak will be underground or down the well. Probably a check valve on the pump itself, sorry!

kevin 71

Reaction score
I'll check for valve leaks in the house, if not will i have to buy a new pump or is it fixable if valve is leaking on pump itself. it is a deep well pum i believe. thanks!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the leak is down the well, you will have to pull the pump to find out if it is a bad check valve or a hole in the pipe. You shouldn't need a new pump, just fix the leak or replace the check valve.

kevin 71

Reaction score
WELL, CHECKED EVERYTHING i COULD. CALLED GUY OUT AND FOUND NUMEROUS HOLES IN STEEL PIPE AND WATER PUMP WAS SHOT (20 YEARS OLD!). NEEDLESS TO SAY... IT WAS EXPENSIVE. 100 + FOOT OF NEW PIPE, NEW WELL PUMP.... LABOR...OUCH!!!!!!!

THERE GOES THE DOWN PAYMENT ON MY NEW KTM SUPER DUKE

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
Just as a reference for those seeing the same symptoms as the person above. Once you isolate the house from the system, and it is losing pressure, go put your ear on the top of the pitless (well head that sticks out of the ground outside) and listen for a hissing noise. You can take the lid off carefully and listen as well. Leaks in the couplings or pipe are very audible.

A bad check valve on the pump will sometimes create a whistling noise if these is another leak to suck air through.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks