Pressure tank location & size

Users who are viewing this thread

Floridawest

Reaction score
I have a 6 inch, 800 foot deep, artesian well that was used for a tree farm. I bought five acres of the land and I put a mobile home 300 feet from the well and pump and ran a 2 inch line to the mobile home. I bought a 2 hp pump also to replace the 7-1/2 hp one that was existing. My question is should the pump and pressure tank be at the well and then run to 300 feet or should it be at the mobile home? And what size pressure tank should I have? It’s a 3/2 mobile home. Any and all help or advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A pump can push much farther than it can pull so at the well makes sense as long as you can protect it from the elements. Do you have power available at the well? Is the 2 HP so that you can irrigate with it? I'd suggest a CSV so the tank size won't matter and the pump won't be oversized when not used to capacity.

Floridawest

Reaction score
A pump can push much farther than it can pull so at the well makes sense as long as you can protect it from the elements. Do you have power available at the well? Is the 2 HP so that you can irrigate with it? I'd suggest a CSV so the tank size won't matter and the pump won't be oversized when not used to capacity.
Thanks. Yes there is power at the well and it is covered on top and three sides, basically an 8’ x 8’ x 8’ shed. I have 5 acres and wanted to make sure the pump was big enough if I wanted to irrigate part of it. Does the CSV go by the pump or pipe size?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There are different sizes of CSV from single dwelling units to big ones that can feed a whole town. If you can estimate the max GPM then @valveman can advise on the best model.

I assume by what you wrote that you already purchased the pump and assume it is not a submersible. A submersible is much more energy efficient and never needs priming, so that is what I would have gone with. They are also water cooled (obviously).

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have a 6 inch, 800 foot deep, artesian well
The problem is that different folks have different ideas about what an artesian well is. In these parts it is a sometimes called a flowing well because the static level is higher than the top of the well casing.
https://www.daleswater.co.uk/what-is-an-artesian-well/
What-is-an-Artesian-Well.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks