Pressure tank drain valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Leo1

Reaction score
Hi All,

The guy, who replaced the well pump, said that the drain valve should be on the tee that connects to the pressure tank to be able to drain out sediments better. Is it correct? Would you recommend to add new valve?

I've attached the picture of the pressure tank connection that I currently have.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20170627_224304.jpg
    20170627_224304.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,422

Reach4

Reaction score
Close enough, and better than many IMHO.

What I don't see is your pressure switch. If your pump shuts off too early during the fill, you can consider moving the pressure switch closer to the pressure tank. If no problem, no problem.

I am not a pro.

Leo1

Reaction score
Close enough, and better than many IMHO.

What I don't see is your pressure switch. If your pump shuts off too early during the fill, you can consider moving the pressure switch closer to the pressure tank. If no problem, no problem.

I am not a pro.
Here is the full picture. The switch works fine but I noticed that the pump shutoff has shifted a little bit (less than 0.5 PSI) but maybe it's just a gauge error.

Attachments

• 20170628_181516.jpg
    20170628_181516.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,015

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That tee with the pressure switch, gauge, relief valve, and drain bibb, should have been put at the outlet of the tank. The wires should have been extended to the pressure switch at the base of the tank instead of extending the pipe up to the electric box.

Leo1

Reaction score
That tee with the pressure switch, gauge, relief valve, and drain bibb, should have been put at the outlet of the tank. The wires should have been extended to the pressure switch at the base of the tank instead of extending the pipe up to the electric box.
The switch is sitting on the pipe that is coming in the basement right from the well. It was done this way I do not know how many decades ago by one of the previous owners. I only had the tank replaced couple years ago when the 25+ year old tank started to leak.

So is there a real problem with this setup that needs to be resolved?

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ideally the pressure switch would be on a T at the tank, but with 1" plumbing and that short of a run its probably OK as long as the pressure switch doesn't bounce at cut out pressure.

What I don't care for are the galvanized fittings, especially the 1/4 nipple under the pressure switch. Galvanized corrodes & plugs which could cause the pressure switch to stay closed and over pressurize the system.

Leo1

Reaction score
Ideally the pressure switch would be on a T at the tank, but with 1" plumbing and that short of a run its probably OK as long as the pressure switch doesn't bounce at cut out pressure
The switch does not bounce at cut off but periodically it bounces pretty hard at cut on pressure. Is it because of it's location or because of something else?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most likely the location. Either move it or try a snubber underneath it to control the pressure spikes.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The switch does not bounce at cut off but periodically it bounces pretty hard at cut on pressure. Is it because of it's location or because of something else?

Yeah that is what I see. Pressure switch too far from the tank usually causes a bounce on pump start more than pump stop.

Reach4

Reaction score
Here is the full picture. The switch works fine but I noticed that the pump shutoff has shifted a little bit (less than 0.5 PSI) but maybe it's just a gauge error.
I recently found that my shutoff had shifted maybe 3 pounds lower. I was wondering if this is common as the pressure switch spring ages. I have turned my adjusting nut on the Pumptrol switch 3.25 turns CW so far.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Sediment can affect the switch if it builds up under the switch diaphragm or blocks the tube. If you have particularly nasty water you may need to clean both periodically. The cost of a switch is so little that replacement might be the easy fix.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks