Pressure tank and preventing failure

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBoy2

Reaction score
:D Good Morning All,
I am pretty sure that my pressure tank is shot (the bladder). I am having the pump come on every few seconds and the water pressure is eratic. Anyway, this particular tank is less than 5 years old. It was purchased from Low*s, I know, I know (cheap). Would a more expensive one perfrom better? If so, I will need some brand names and suppliers, too. Also, I do live in a very sandy area, it's not called the Sandhills of South Carolina for nothing!?!
Now, for my question, is there a better practice for preventing premature failure of the pressure tank bladder in a sandy area? I was considering placing a filter between the pump and and pressure tank to try and catch the particles before they reach the bladder. Does this sound feasiable? Is this common practice for this problem? If not, what are some other considerations? Any and all advice is appreciated. I would like to get one to last about 10 years or so. The original one only lasted 6 and this is less than 5 years. So, fire away!
Thanks in advance and God Bless!

Edit: Forgot to add the tank is about 20gal (small). Would a large tank do anything for me? Increase/maintain higher water pressure for longer?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
If your pump is on/off quickly when you are using water, yes the precharge pressure is incorrect or the bladder is bust. I the pump is running when the house isn't using water you have a water leak between the pump and pressure tank.

That constant on/off wears out bladders and pump motors and spins the electric meter which sucks bucks out of your bank account.

A leak in the drop pipe in the well can cause a sand problem too.

A filter etc. that can block up (all of them can) or be shut off between a submersible pump and its pressure switch is a bad idea.

A 20 gal tank and a CSV is the best solution for longevity of the whole system. The pressure tank can not increase or decrease water pressure; it's the precharged air pressure in whatever size tank that supplies the power to move water to the fixtures when the pump isn't running.

Speedbump

Reaction score
In my opinion there are only two tanks out there that are worth buying. All the others we change out all the time. Well-X-Trol and Flexcon. I sell the Flexcon. Like Gary said, a small tank and a Cycle Stop Valve will solve your problem. PC-66 tank $135.48 and a CSV1/50 $69.99. That's it except for shipping. I'll bet you would pay that much or more at Lowes or HD for the same size tank of much less quality.

bob...

CountryBoy2

Reaction score
Thanks Guys!

Thanks very much Gary and speedbump. I do appreciate it. However, this leads to another question.....what is the cycle stop valve and where do you tie it into the system. Also, what is it going to do for me? Thanks again for the info. :eek:

Speedbump

Reaction score
Along with a small working tank, it will keep your pump from cycling while your using a gallon per minute or more. Once you stop using water, it will slowly fill the tank to shutoff pressure.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks