Pressure Switch Question

Users who are viewing this thread

s10010001

Reaction score
Can you just adjust a pressure switch to be whatever you want, or is there a max level of adjustment based on its spec?

I have a 30/50 I would like to bump up to 40/60 in my uncles setup. I will adjust the tank pressure to match. or should I start with a 40/60 switch?

Ill put in a CSV once his big tank fails down the road.

Reach4

Reaction score
Most 30/50 switches can adjust to 40/60. As a starting point, do not adjust the nut on the smaller spring. Do turn the nut on the bigger spring 3.5 turns clockwise, and see where it is then. So 3.5 turns per 10 psi. Turning the nut on the big spring adjusts cut-in and cut out both.

Make sure the pressure gauge is still climbing at a decent rate at 60 psi. You want a little margin in case water level in the well drops, or if the pump degrades a bit.

You can also use things like 35/55 or 43/63.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
What is the size of the pump?
Is it a above ground jet pump, a submerged jet or a submersible pump?
Is it 120v or 220v?
Do you know the model number of the pump??
30-50 switches are used generally for smaller pumps like 1/2 HP. The well motor might be too small to handle the additional load. Depending on the age of the home and plumbing fixtures, bumping it up 10 PSI you might see some faucets dripping or valves stems weeping water. More is not always better. "Don't fix what's not broke". It'd be a different story if the pump and tank were being upgraded.

s10010001

Reaction score
It’s a 1hp Myers pump. It came with a 30/50 switch. I’d like to bump it to 40/60 like her old one.

Bannerman

Reaction score
a 1hp Myers pump
A high HP will often move plenty of water but develop little pressure.

To achieve 60 psi to the faucet, the pump will typically need to supply at least 70 psi after lifting the water from the well's static level up to the pressure tank.
  • Well depth?
  • Pump depth?
  • Static water level?
  • Pump model?
  • Pressure tank model or capacity?

s10010001

Reaction score
We’re on water storage tanks, so no depth suction to deal with, the pressur tank is 80g rated for 125psi. I just put in a new jet pump for my neighbor, hers cracked in half in the freeze.

I just wasn’t sure if a 30/50 would adjust to 40/60. I went ahead and bumped her pressure tank air up to 38psi empty and cranked the main nut and sure enough it let me get to 40/60 no issues.

we’re seeing 54psi to the shower head now. Not bad.

she’s getting a CSV soon :)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks