Pressure switch / pumptec question

Users who are viewing this thread

mossbackfarm

Reaction score
Hello

I've been having some problems with my well pump. We have a 1/2hp submersible (10years old) and a Pumptec protector on it that is a year old. Previously, we had a Coyote protector.

It's a low yielding well (1.5gpm), and we're pretty careful with it. Recently, the pumptec started to give us the yellow underload warning with some regularity. It often happens in the summer when we water the garden, but it's been so cool that we haven't started watering anything yet. Investigating further, it appears that the voltage trips at the very end of the pressure switch cycle - i.e. the switch kicks on at 40, and at about 58psi the underload trips. Then it resets, runs for 10-60secs, and trips again. Repeat, until these little pump cycles get the pressure up to the pressure switch cutout psi.

My pump guy sent a replacement pumptec to try, and it works the same, so it doesn't seem to be the problem.

So, a couple of questions...

the obvious, what does everyone think is going on?

And the other, is the repeated cycle towards the end of the pressure switch cycle wearing down my pump?

I've tweaked the pressure switch to kick on at 38psi, and off at 58, and it seems to work fine now, but if I've swept this problem under the rug, I'd like to at least know what I'm putting off until later.

Thanks!

Rich

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It sounds like the overload in the pump motor might be causing the pump to stop and restart. The pump will need to have the current draw and resistance measurements compared to the factory specifications to determine if the pump is failing.

mossbackfarm

Reaction score
Thanks! Are those measurements something we can do from the surface, or do we need to pull the pump to get those?

Rich

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Underload on a pumptek should mean you are running out of water. Did you try adjusting the settings on the pumptek? You might restrict the outlet a bit to reduce the outflow from the well.

mossbackfarm

Reaction score
Thanks ballvalve...we're very familiar with that aspect (unfortunately), but it never happens this time of year, so it had me worried. Tests seem to show that we're not running dry...I can usually hear bubbling/splashing when it runs out...

The pumptec has been tweaked pretty heavily.

It works now, and I'm swamped with work, but as hopefully soon I'll get a check at the draw and resistance measurements

Cheers

mossbackfarm

Reaction score
It sounds like the overload in the pump motor might be causing the pump to stop and restart. The pump will need to have the current draw and resistance measurements compared to the factory specifications to determine if the pump is failing.

Hi there...sorry to dredge up the past, but I've finally had some time to tinker with this again. Busy at work is a blessing, and a curse.

So I tested the draw and (I think) the resistance. Draw when running is a steady 5.5A, and resistance seems to be 4.6ohm, measured with the power off across the L1->B terminals on the Pumptec

The specs appear to call for 4.7A draw, and 4.5-5.2 Ohm resistance...the pump is a 2 wire 1/2hp A+555-50R. Specs are here http://www.aermotor.com/pdf/PN280.pdf (page4).

The pump / pumptec started to underload one more time this spring/summer after my May post, and I tweaked the pressure switch down a shade more to be 35-55 psi...even with increased summer water use, I haven't tripped the pumptec until today when I was messing around with it, making me think it's not particularly low water levels.

Do you think that the slightly higher amp draw (5.5 vs 4.7 specified) could be a sign of something wrong with the pump? Or any ideas what else could be happening?

Thanks!

Rich

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I don't think there is anything wrong with your pump. The pump-tec is showing underload, not overload as it would with a bad pump. Those things can just be flakey. You may just need another one. I have a Cycle Sensor that I think is more reliable and easier to adjust for underload. See this link;

http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/products.html#cyclesensor

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks