Pressure switch cycling about every 10 seconds

Users who are viewing this thread

sabiduria

Reaction score
The pressure valve reads around 65 psi so I let some air out but it does not seem to go down any - maybe the pressure valve is not working. The cycling has come down though to about every 50 seconds.

it is a goulds pumps v140 pressure tank

does anyone knows what the pressure should be and how often does the pressure switch should cycle?

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
The air precharge should be set with the water pressure=0.

With a submersible pump, set the precharge to 2 PSI less than the cut-on pressure. With a jet pump, make that 3 or 4 PSI.

Having the pump stay on at least a minute each time would be better, but 50 seconds is not bad.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Adding air to the tank usually increases pump run time. If letting air out of the tank increased run time, the bladder in the tank is probably bad. One minute of run time is really the minimum for a pump running at service factor amps.

sabiduria

Reaction score

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
18 PSI is not enough air if the pressure switch is working at 45/65. If the pump starts at 45, then you want about 40-43 air pressure in the tank.
Also a V140 should hold about 12 gallons of water as the pressure drops from 65 to 45. After getting the air right you can do a bucket test to see if the tank is really giving 12 gallons as it should.

Bgard

Reaction score
you have a 20/40 switch but your gauge reads 65 psi I think that the gauge is one issue, you may also have a blockage in the pipe between the pressure switch and the tank

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
you have a 20/40 switch but your gauge reads 65 psi
The switch can be adjusted to different cut-in and cut-out. That said, never trust a single gauge and also never trust that your air pressure gauge will read the same as the water pressure gauge.

When the pump has reached cut-off pressure, check to see if the air pressure on the bladder matches the water pressure which it should. Then you will know that the air precharge will not be far off.

Always add air when the water pressure is zero and the draincock is open. As Cary said, between 2 and 5 PSI lower than the cut-in. 2 PSI for a sub, 5 PSI for a jet.

sabiduria

Reaction score
valveman/bgard,

I measured the pressure with a tire pressure gauge I had. I think, as mentioned above, the installed pressure gauge is not working as the gauge did not change when I was putting air to the pressure thank.

Should I change the installed pressure valve?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I think, as mentioned above, the installed pressure gauge is not working as the gauge did not change when I was putting air to the pressure thank.
If you followed proper procedure as I outlined above to add air, the pressure gauge should have read zero and should not have changed with the draincock open. If you did not follow proper procedure, the current state of your system is dubious at best. Turn off the pump, drain the tank, and follow the procedure I outlined.

Bgard

Reaction score
I know that the switch can be adjusted, I thought I saw that he replaced the switch and it looks new in the picture, also the adjustment is pretty close to the top of the stud which in my experience is a lower pressure setting than 45/65. I would replace the gauge in order to get a better handle on what is really happening.

Reach4

Reaction score
Also, tire pressure gauges can vary significantly. You might ask your tire shop to compare yours to theirs.

sabiduria

Reaction score
This is what I did:

- Replaced the pressure valve that indeed it was bad.
- After replacing the pressure valve and with the closest faucet open, check the tank air and it was as left it the day before yesterday - around 18 psi so no air was added.
- Turned on the pump and these are my findings:

- Indeed, while the pump is on, the pressure goes up to about 35 psi and the cuts off.
- while is off, the pressure goes down to around 20 psi and then the switch turns on and the pressure goes up to around 35 psi and then it cuts off.
- The timing is about the same as the day before yesterday - about 30 seconds on and about a minute off.

any other suggestions?

Reach4

Reaction score
Good progress.
After replacing the pressure valve and with the closest faucet open, check the tank air and it was as left it the day before yesterday - around 18 psi so no air was added.
That would indicate that there is probably not a tank failure. It may be undersized vs your pump.

The timing is about the same as the day before yesterday - about 30 seconds on and about a minute off.
Normal would be to stay off, until you use water. If you are not using water during the cycling, there is a leak somewhere. There will be a valve closing off the the water to the house. Turn off that valve. If you still get cycling, you have a leak. Where is the pump?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
the pressure goes down to around 20 psi and then the switch turns on and the pressure goes up to around 35 psi and then it cuts off.
A normal delta is 20 PSI, not 15. I would adjust the small spring on the pressure switch to increase the delta so it shuts off at 40 PSI.

Depending on how much pressure the pump is capable of, I might adjust the big spring to change it to 30/50. Of course I would also up the air to 28.

Reach4

Reaction score
yes, it is a submersible pump.
Did you try turning off the valve to the rest of the home to see if the cycling stops?

Or were you running water intentionally during the cycling?

sabiduria

Reaction score
A normal delta is 20 PSI, not 15. I would adjust the small spring on the pressure switch to increase the delta so it shuts off at 40 PSI.

can I adjust the small spring while the pump is on?

Depending on how much pressure the pump is capable of, I might adjust the big spring to change it to 30/50. Of course I would also up the air to 28.

How do I know the pump's pressure capability?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks