Pressure switch and pressure rating of tank don't match

Users who are viewing this thread

ir0nrat

Reaction score
I am getting ready to replace a leaking pressure switch when I realize the pressure switch is a 40/60 but the tank is 30/50. The pressure gauge normally reads about 50 psi (which I'm guessing can't be good for the tank). What are your thoughts on replacing the tank with one rated 40/60, replacing the switch with a 30/50, or just keeping the switch a 40/60 and set the air pressure accordingly. I do occasionally have spitting at the faucets (but not frequently) so a replacement tank may be a possibility, but mostly everything works ok (except for the leaks).

Thanks in advance.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
The tank can be any pressure you want it to be, up to it’s maximum rated pressure of 100 or 125 psi.

The sticker that you’re looking at on your pressure tank is probably just telling you how many gallons of drawdown you have at a 30/50 setting.

Just adjust the precharge in your tank to 2 psi less than the pressure that the pressure switch turns the pump on at.

ir0nrat

Reaction score
The tank can be any pressure you want it to be, up to it’s maximum rated pressure of 100 or 125 psi.

The sticker that you’re looking at on your pressure tank is probably just telling you how many gallons of drawdown you have at a 30/50 setting.

Just adjust the precharge in your tank to 2 psi less than the pressure that the pressure switch turns the pump on at.

Thanks very much! I appreciate it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks