Pressure spikes after sprinkler is winterized

Users who are viewing this thread

SCOTT ROSENTHAL

Reaction score
rosenthal-01.jpg

I'm getting spikes in water pressure, measured at the main feed to the house, starting yesterday when the outdoor sprinkler was shut and winterized.

Similar spikes happened last winter, but I didn't see the link until now.

The pressure increases a few times per day (see chart above) and then resets when a toilet or other appliance runs, causing pipes to rattle.

I have a backflow preventer that is tested annually. I also have water hammer arrestors inside the house which may help, but they do not fully solve the rattling which to me is the symptom. The increased pressure is the problem.

I can't understand why shutting the sprinkler would affect pressure in the house. Thanks in advance for all ideas!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe the sprinkler system leaked some. It does not take much to keep up with thermal expansion as the water heats.

Probably you need a working thermal expansion tank for the water heater. Wait, you probably have one already. You are not even rising to 90 psi. Stop worrying about this.

SCOTT ROSENTHAL

Reaction score
Maybe the sprinkler system leaked some. It does not take much to keep up with thermal expansion as the water heats.

Probably you need a working thermal expansion tank for the water heater. Wait, you probably have one already. You are not even rising to 90 psi. Stop worrying about this.

Thanks for the ideas, Reach4!

The pressure actually does reach 90 psi. I'm watching it live on the Flo app, but it didn't record on the chart.

Curious about your use of "working" expansion tank. It's one year old - you think it's the culprit? And maybe the sprinkler absorbs the expansion when it is summerized?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas, Reach4!

The pressure actually does reach 90 psi. I'm watching it live on the Flo app, but it didn't record on the chart.

Curious about your use of "working" expansion tank. It's one year old - you think it's the culprit? And maybe the sprinkler absorbs the expansion when it is summarized?
I would not worry about 12o myself, but overly-nervous people are around extrapolating.

Should not have failed after 1 year. To make it do its best, set the air precharge to the highest incoming water pressure. You could approximate that by setting the air precharge to maybe 2 psi above the daytime water pressure. Air precharge is measured and set with the water pressure near zero.

One more possibility: a few people turn their WH hotter in the winter. Hotter water setting increases the expansion.

And sure, a bunch of plastic pipe might give additional elasticity expansion, but the stuff after the valves should not help. I don't know if your valve are all in your sprinkler heads, or at some earlier point.

You should be able to relate the spikes to a lot of hot water use, followed by a period of not using water at all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks