Pressure relief valve. Beginner needs some vocab and advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Leeisme

Reaction score
Hello all! First time poster - hope everyone is safe and healthy and getting projects done!

I'm pretty handy in general -- but have never really dealt with plumbing. So please forgive my lack of knowledge and especially terminology. I need some help figuring out what to buy and how to install it!

On my back patio, there is a set of small pipes. On the top right side, there's a valve that can be opened with a ~1 inch lever. When I pull to the right on this little lever, water comes downwards through the direction indicated by the arrow. But I've only nudged the lever a little bit to test it - it looks rusted and feels like it might just snap off if i ever tried to open it all the way. I'd love to be able to replace this valve with something that's actually usable- so i could screw in a hose and water plants.
It looks like the whole end-piece is replaceable - can someone help me with what I need to buy and any tips on installation?

Thank you so much!

IMG_2048.jpg
IMG_2046.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have a T&P valve there, most likely set for 125 PSI. Temperature and Pressure Relief Valve. Where it's at, it might be there only for pressure.
It may be that the water heater inside the home doesn't have a way to drain a T&P there, so the solution was to add a relief valve outside the home.

This is not a faucet, it's a relief valve.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just replaced a regulator and pop off for a chiller make up water line. The pop off valve was there in case the regulator valve failed which it did. Follow the line and see where it goes it may be there just to protect your water supply line's. Or you might not have an expansion tank on your water heater.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks