Pressure produced by pump with cycle stop valve installed

Users who are viewing this thread

RinFt Worth

Reaction score
i installed a cycle stop valve and when I did I put a pressure guage in the line prior to the valve so I could see pressure produced by my pump. As the demand shuts off and the tank is refilled this pressure goes as high as 140-150 psi.
Is this normal?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
i installed a cycle stop valve and when I did I put a pressure guage in the line prior to the valve so I could see pressure produced by my pump. As the demand shuts off and the tank is refilled this pressure goes as high as 140-150 psi.
Is this normal?

Yes that is the way a CSV works, it uses back pressure to make the pump think it is in a deeper well, so it cannot pump more than needed. 150 is just right. It means your pump doesn't build way too much pressure, or not enough to do what you want. The hard part to understand is that extra pressure is actually good for the pump. You would think it is making the pump work harder, but it is just the opposite. If you put an amp meter on the motor you will see that the amps, which makes heat, are reduced when the CSV puts back pressure on the pump. Some pumps drop in amps more than others, and a rare few don't drop at all. But amps or heat will never increase for using a CSV. Even on pumps where the amps don't drop the reduction in cycling on/off from the CSV is still good for the pump and motor.

RinFt Worth

Reaction score
Thank you for the answer valveman.
Are there any concerns with water lines standing up to the pressure?

The installation at my property carries water from the well to the house via buried PVC. At some point it switches to copper in/at the house. I don't know for sure where since water supply comes out of the wall in the garage in copper.
At some point I may just open up that wall to see what is back there.

I would like to install a spin down type sediment filter prior to the csv and pressure tank. I have found a Rusco that is pvc and rated to 150 psi. It would likely experience 150 psi in my setup. Would this be ok?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
You shouldn't have 150psi on the pipes in the house or garage. You should only see your household system pressure (<80 psi) - if I understand the CSV properly.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only time 150 psi is going to cause a problem is if there is old thin walled poly pipe between the pump and the CSV. The old thin poly was rated for 80 psi & 100 psi and won't hold up.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With PVC pipe it will be fine. Everything prior to the CSV will see the 150 PSI. Everything after the CSV will only see the 40 to 60 as dictated by the pressure switch. As long as the filter is rated for 150 PSI it can be installed prior to the CSV. Anytime the filter is not rated for the pressure the pump can build just put the filter after the CSV. It is best to filter before the CSV when possible, but the CSV1A is designed to handle some debris.

RinFt Worth

Reaction score
Thanks Valveman.

Here is a pic of what my house had...

Here is a pic of my csv install

image.jpeg

Another question - what is the difference between a csv and a pressure reducing valve?

Would it hurt to install a pressure reducing valve prior to the water supply entering my garage and limit the pressure to 80 or 90 psi? Would the csv still work as advertised? Would I be limiting my maximum flow rate available?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Nice looking install! The CSV works like a pressure reducing valve as long as you are using water. When you close all the faucets the CSV turns into a 1 GPM Dole valve and refills the tank at 1 GPM. But you should not need a pressure reducing valve to limit the pressure. Just set the CSV at 80, if that is the pressure you want, then set the pressure switch about 65/85 with that size pressure tank. That way you will have 80 PSI in the house from the CSV anytime you are using water.

The only time we use a pressure reducing valve with a CSV is when you need multiple different pressures in the same system. The same as above with your CSV holding 80 PSI to the house, you could put a pressure reducing valve on a line that goes to a drip system or something that needs less pressure. I have a 15 PSI pressure reducing valve going to the drip system for my garden. That way the house and everything else gets 80 PSI, while the line to the drip system is reduced to 15 PSI.

BaconMan

Reaction score
Nice looking install! The CSV works like a pressure reducing valve as long as you are using water. When you close all the faucets the CSV turns into a 1 GPM Dole valve and refills the tank at 1 GPM. But you should not need a pressure reducing valve to limit the pressure. Just set the CSV at 80, if that is the pressure you want, then set the pressure switch about 65/85 with that size pressure tank. That way you will have 80 PSI in the house from the CSV anytime you are using water.

The only time we use a pressure reducing valve with a CSV is when you need multiple different pressures in the same system. The same as above with your CSV holding 80 PSI to the house, you could put a pressure reducing valve on a line that goes to a drip system or something that needs less pressure. I have a 15 PSI pressure reducing valve going to the drip system for my garden. That way the house and everything else gets 80 PSI, while the line to the drip system is reduced to 15 PSI.
I hate to revive an old discussion, but I am interested in installing a CSV. My pump is only two years old, roughly 90ft deep, moderate sediment. I have a large pressure tank (100 gal?). I want to extend the life of the pump.

My question is, is it always good to install one? If it is, why don‘t well installers use them more often?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I hate to revive an old discussion, but I am interested in installing a CSV. My pump is only two years old, roughly 90ft deep, moderate sediment. I have a large pressure tank (100 gal?). I want to extend the life of the pump.

My question is, is it always good to install one? If it is, why don‘t well installers use them more often?
Yes, as long as your pump system is compatible it is always best to have a Cycle Stop Valve. And why don't all well installers use CSV's? Because CSV's "extend the life of the pump" and they like to sell pumps. Lol! Asking a pump man about a CSV is like asking an owner of a gas station if he would recommend an electric car. :rolleyes:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks