Pressure problems at the ranch

Users who are viewing this thread

Stephen Harmon

Colorado Ranch Hand
Reaction score
I have read many of the pages on this forum and am thoroughly impressed with the depth and breadth of knowledge shared (even though I don’t understand a lot of it, it’s obvious that you do). So, I am asking for help resolving the two issues my family is experiencing in our newly acquired home.

We just purchased a home on a little property (39 acres) here in Castle Rock Colorado (just south of Denver). The well on the property is 618’ deep and located 900’ from the house slightly downhill. During pre- home purchase inspection the local well inspector reported that the well pumped at a rate of 5.5 gallons per minute @ 4p.s.i. In the well is a 2 hp Federal pump which was installed in 2009. Inside the house is the original (1992) Well-x-trol 14-gallon draw-down diaphragm style tank. There is a water sediment filter which is leaking in line.

Around the home (1/2 acre) is a sprinkler that is run ½ to ¾ of the year for the lawn, flower beds, bushes etc. This sprinkler system has 6 zones with 4 heads each that read 12 gal/ minute.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With a 40/60 pressure switch, the pressure should never go below 40 unless you are using more water than the well or pump can produce. I am curious how a well that only makes 5.5 GPM can supply a 12 GPM sprinkler zone? Either the pump makes more than 5.5 GPM, or the sprinklers do not put out 12 GPM. We really need the pump model number and depth to water to see how much the pump produces.

Now you can pump 12 GPM to sprinklers with only a 5.5 GPM well if you use a storage tank and extra booster pump. A 1000-1500 gallon storage tank will probably cost less than $1000.00. Then a jet pump for a booster ($500) with a PK1A to control it ($345), and maybe another $500 in pipe and fittings will get you a cistern storage tank set up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks