Pressure issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Stitchin' Penguin

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and know very little about plumbing.

We are building a new house on the family farm. Our well is also the well that waters the cattle. The pressure tank is currently located in the well house. The pressure is fairly low because it works better with the float systems used for the cattle.

Is there a way to install a second pressure in our house so we can increase the pressure for our house?

Thank you,

Kendra

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
You would need a second pump to act as a pressure booster, with a second pressure tank. When Valveman reads this post he will probably give you a schematic of what is needed. Might be Monday before he sees this

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
You also have another option besides a second pump for the house.

That would be to increase the pressure setting on the pressure switch of your existing pump. Then you would need to install a pressure reducing valve on the water lines going to the stock waterers.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You also have another option besides a second pump for the house.

That would be to increase the pressure setting on the pressure switch of your existing pump. Then you would need to install a pressure reducing valve on the water lines going to the stock waterers.

Thanks Boyce, that is exactly what I would do. Turn the pressure switch up to supply the pressure needed for the house, and add a little pressure reducing valve to the line going to the stock tanks. Of course I would also add a Cycle Stop Valve as the floats in the cattle troughs will make the pump cycle itself to death far too often, and the constant pressure from the CSV will make the house pressure much stronger as well.

Stitchin' Penguin

Reaction score
Is there a way to put the 2nd pump and pressure tank in our new house? I don't really want to change anything on the stock side as those pipes and floats have been in place for many years and dont have any issues currently. I am afraid if we start changing things up on them it may lead to numerous issues that I dont want to be responsible for causing.

I am very interested in approaching this issue as my we finally are partially moved into the new house and my husband took a shower this morning and had very little water pressure.

Thank you,

Kendra

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
All your water comes from the one water well. You can't draw more water than that pump can put out. You can go to a storage tank with a booster pump. I will add a drawing below. But adding a CSV and turning up the pressure switch on the pump you have would be best. You can even put a pressure reducing valve on the line going to the stock tank and turn that pressure down if needed.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

Or run straight from the well to the stock tanks like this.

LOW YIELD WELL_and storage with two PK1A one pipe.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks