Pressure Issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe Clark

Reaction score
Good morning, I am new to the forum, and I have an issue (surprise right!)

I have a fairly shallow well for my area, we are at about 150 feet. The well is about 8years old and we have had issues since about 2 months after it going in, I wont bore you with those details.

The pump seems to be working correctly and the pressure tank seems to be working as well (it is a galvanized type, really not much that can go wrong with it). Here is what is happening. when the water has not been on for a while (20-30mins) and the tank is up to pressure and you run water in the house the pressure is fine, but once you run it long enough to bleed the pressure tank the water flow gets real low. If you are using a hose outside, it will get to the point that it almost trickles out the end of the hose. Now at this point if you turn the water off and wait 20mins the water will come out almost 10ft from the hose, again until the pressure tank is depleted.

I think my well is shot, but I am not sure, any suggestions. I wouldn't think that the pump would only last 8yrs. My parents house has had the same pump for almost 20 and my neighbor swears he has never replaced his and he had the well dug almost 30yrs ago.

If the pump is shot, how difficult is it to replace myself? I really don't have a couple thousand dollars to spend on the well right now.

Thanks in advance -Joe

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I doubt that the well is the problem. Could be a low producing pump, a hole in the pipe, or a restriction somewhere. Need to disconnect at the well head and see how much water the pump can produce.

Pulling 150' on plastic pipe is no problem. But if it is galvanized pipe you will need a good hoist truck.

Joe Clark

Reaction score
It is definitely PVC so that is not an issue there. when we first got the well the pressure tank would never deplete. the pressure would go "down" but it never emptied, it would hold steady at about 45-50psi the entire time while washing my truck or with the sprinklers running, while showering in the house. Now if you are showering and someone flushes a toilet, you will be waiting until that toilet finishes filling before you continue. And just forget taking a bath, it will take over an hour to fill the bathtub, because it trickles out of the spicket.

Reach4

Reaction score
Now at this point if you turn the water off and wait 20mins the water will come out almost 10ft from the hose, again until the pressure tank is depleted.
And the pump is running for that 20 minutes I presume.

My parents house has had the same pump for almost 20
The pumps are down the well (submersible), I also presume.

Joe Clark

Reaction score
And the pump is running for that 20 minutes I presume.

The pumps are down the well (submersible), I also presume.

Approximately 20mins to get the pressure tank back to pressure, then it kicks off

yes they are both submersible pumps.

I found this:

Pump moves water but not to its capacity

Pump is sucking air

Your suction pipe may have small leaks at joints, etc. where air can be pulled in. Entire length of suction pipe and all fittings must be completely air tight. (One test method is to use plastic cling wrap and wrap every joint to temporarily seal air leaks.)

Depth-to-water in well is deeper than thought

If the water's surface level in the well is down further than what was thought, the pump will not perform as though.

Motor is operating on wrong voltage

If motor is set to run on 230v but is only being fed 115v it will run at half speed and cannot move as much water. Check motor label for proper voltage. If dual-voltage motor, set voltage selector to match voltage that is actually connected to the motor.

Impeller and/or diffuser is worn

If all items above check as OK, overhaul pump: Replace impeller, diffuser, and necessary seals & gaskets

What about the last two options, what could cause the (220v in my case) pump to drop a leg? Or, what about the impeller and/or diffuser? I assume they are actually in the pump itself.

my wife reminded me that we had a well guy out about 6-9 months ago and he replaced a flap of some kind (we were having water in the lines in the house) maybe he did not wire something back up correctly? I am going to have to look at that when I get home.

Joe Clark

Reaction score
Need to disconnect at the well head and see how much water the pump can produce.

it is very slow, I removed the pipe that came from the one-way valve into the pressure tank and then turned the well back on and it just slowly comes out. It should shoot a few feet at least right?

Reach4

Reaction score
Pump is sucking air

Your suction pipe may have small leaks at joints, etc. where air can be pulled in. Entire length of suction pipe and all fittings must be completely air tight.
A submersible pump does not actually have a suction pipe. That does not mean that you could not be sucking air due to low water at the pump. That would normally cause air in the water, which a person a precharged pressure tank would probably notice. However you have a galvanized tank, and that may have an AVC (air volume control) that releases air. It would also mean that you probably have an above ground check valve. That could hide a big hole in the drop pipe where most of the water from the pump was squirting out of the hole and back into the well.

You could check for these with a clamp-around ammeter. With a hole in the pipe, the current would be high. With sucking air, the current would be lower.

Reach4

Reaction score
Before pulling, what diameter is your PVC casing?

When you pull, note the waterline mark.

After you pull the pump, take pictures of the two labels of the pump you put in. They include model and date codes.

If pulling the pump on PVC, you want a method to hold at some point. This could be with a strap, or an appropriate clamp. Do sift through Youtube videos for ones that might be similar to your situation.

Consider taking a video, but hope it won't be a Youtube sensation.

Joe Clark

Reaction score
Before pulling, what diameter is your PVC casing?

When you pull, note the waterline mark.

After you pull the pump, take pictures of the two labels of the pump you put in. They include model and date codes.

If pulling the pump on PVC, you want a method to hold at some point. This could be with a strap, or an appropriate clamp. Do sift through Youtube videos for ones that might be similar to your situation.

Consider taking a video, but hope it won't be a Youtube sensation.

I am pretty sure it is 4" PVC casing (I could be wrong, I can honestly say I have not paid that much attention to it.)

I will sift through YouTube on pulling pumps, thank you for your help.

Reach4

Reaction score
4 inch is 4.5 inches OD or 14.1 circumference. If you have a 5 inch, then there would be an additional factor to to consider.

Reach4

Reaction score
what would that additional factor be? Since I am at work right now and cant look at it yet.
A sleeve to help the motor keep cool and possibly have other benefits. It would be made from 4 inch pipe, so would not fit into 4 inch pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks