Pressure flush toilet leaks at floor

Users who are viewing this thread

MrTelco1948

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I have a pressure assisted toilet that routinely blows out part of the wax ring, causing seepage under the toilet. I have replaced the ring numerous times and the last time, I used a reinforced wax ring but still have the problem. (Early on, I had to make a slight adjustment and raise the flange to the proper height so the bottom of the flange was even with the floor. Thought that was the problem but it didn't help.) Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If there's a partial blockage in the drain line, that might cause it. There's one closed cell foam wax ring replacement product some people here have used and liked...it should be more robust in that regard.

But, the biggest candidate is that the toilet may need shims to keep it from rocking...the wax isn't springy, and once you set the toilet, any rocking will cause the wax to compress, and when it rocks back, leave a gap. It doesn't take much. Set the toilet in place without wax, and if it can move at all, figure out where to place shims to stop it, then add the wax, and set it on the shims. If the floor is pretty close and the toilet isn't badly warped, I find that an assortment of coins, penny, nickel, or dime, is all it usually takes to solidify things. You can make a trip to the store and buy some composite shims, and those may be needed if the gap is bigger than an astutely placed coin or two will resolve.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is this pressure assist toilet one that is on the recall notice? If it is, you'd be wise to quit using this thing and either get the replacement parts or get rid of the PA toilet altogether and get a Toto that does not require pressure assist with the explosive noise and potential explosion problem. There are better toilets available.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks