Pressure drop without running water

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr.Enderz

Reaction score
We have been losing pressure in our piping, upstream of the pressure tank. I isolated the house and it holds.

So I had suspected a leaking check valve down by the pump. Had the pump pulled and replaced. Initial pressure test showed it was a success, it held. Fast-forward a couple days and I notice the pump running again without us using any water.

At this point I took the cap off of the well and put my ear to it. I can hear water flowing, hissing...like a valve cracked open, but do not see any signs of leaking around the pitless adapter.

My thought now is, that it's leaking outside of the well casing at the pitless adapter.

Thoughts?

Should note...my house is built on a slab. I do not notice any puddling. Pump would cycle approximately ever 40 minutes. Have two 20 gal water-trol tanks. Pressure switch set at 40/60.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Just because the check valve is new doesn't mean it isn't leaking back. Check valves slam closed every time the pump shuts of and that will damage check valves and everything else in the water system. Some pumps like the Hallmark just have crappy check valves to start with and an additional good check valve should be attached to the pump.

Cycling on and off is what makes check valves slam and damages everything in a pump system, Use a Cycle Stop Valve and the mechanical soft stop will eliminate check valve slam as well as make the pump, tank, and everything else last several times longer than normal.

Mr.Enderz

Reaction score
Just because the check valve is new doesn't mean it isn't leaking back. Check valves slam closed every time the pump shuts of and that will damage check valves and everything else in the water system. Some pumps like the Hallmark just have crappy check valves to start with and an additional good check valve should be attached to the pump.

Cycling on and off is what makes check valves slam and damages everything in a pump system, Use a Cycle Stop Valve and the mechanical soft stop will eliminate check valve slam as well as make the pump, tank, and everything else last several times longer than normal.

Valveman,

Let's say the new check valve is leaking.

Would I be able to hear it leaking by putting my ear to the well opening?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
To be complete, you could turn off the pump, reduce the water pressure to zero, and then listen. Think of hearing the ocean while listening to a conch shell. You probably do have a leak in the well, but it is an easy-enough test.

So what would I hear if a leak was at the pump? Could the leak be at the pitless, but the water coming out while observing 4 ft above is not readily visible? I don't know.

Official recommendations are usually to replace the inside pitless O-ring when you pull a pump. I think that in practice that is not normally done.

Don't drop your cellphone down the well while trying to make a movie.

Mr.Enderz

Reaction score
Maybe. But I haven't been able to hear things like that for years. Lol! I look for a drop in pressure to know water is leaking out somewhere.
I'm thinking I have a leak in the lateral, at the pitless adapter.

Is it possible for a leak there to continue on down the outside of the well casing, and not be visible topside?

I'm going to start digging this afternoon.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The outside of the well casing should be cement or bentonite sealed. Look inside the well at the pitless first. Usually a wet spot if it is leaking outside the casing.

Mr.Enderz

Reaction score
The outside of the well casing should be cement or bentonite sealed. Look inside the well at the pitless first. Usually a wet spot if it is leaking outside the casing.
I found the leak.
It's where I suspected it. I have more digging to do to get a better visual and access to it yet.

I tried attaching a picture but it said the file I was trying to upload was too large.

Mr.Enderz

Reaction score
20220817_140156.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Nice. A wet-dry vac may be useful to let you see where not to pound the spade.

Sandy soil makes for better digging.

Mr.Enderz

Reaction score
Nice. A wet-dry vac may be useful to let you see where not to pound the spade.

Sandy soil makes for better digging.
The sand was only down by the pipe. I had a lot of potato sized rocks to go through to get down there!

I like the idea of using the vacuum.

Last edited:

Mr.Enderz

Reaction score
A galvanized elbow screwed into a brass piltess is an accident waiting to happen. Don't use dissimilar metals together.
I believe this is what I'm working with. Weld on pitless adapter. Not sure but I think they come with a stainless nipple, then there's a black 90 going to the barbed fitting.

It appears that the barbed fitting has failed.

Screenshot_20220817-153521_Photos.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I was picturing high-iron water leaking, and coloring the sand. Is your well water high-iron?

Mr.Enderz

Reaction score
I was picturing high-iron water leaking, and coloring the sand. Is your well water high-iron?
Yes sir!
At one point our white shower had a nice orangish hue to it.

My friend made the comment, "how many hookers did you kill in there to get it to look like that?"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks