Pressure change in bladder tank

Users who are viewing this thread

homebody

Reaction score
I have a H2OW-TO pressure tank. I installed it about 4-5 years ago and did not have issues until recently. I noticed the pump going on constantly, so went down to the basement to check it out. The cut-in/cut-out on the pump switch is set at 30/50. I had originally set the psi on the tank to 28. What is happening is when the water is running, the pressure is gradually reducing from 50 to 40, and then immediately drops to 30, setting the pump on. I turn off the pump, drain the tank, and the pressure reads 44 psi. I let out some air to reduce the pressure in the bladder to 28 psi. No water comes out of the air value when I do this, so I assume the bladder does not have a leak. When I turn the pump back on, the pressure builds back up to 50. When running water, the pressure drops gradually all the way to 30, as expected, on the first cycle. After the first cycle, the original problem repeats itself...the pressure drops very quick once it hits 40 psi. If I turn off the pump and drain the tank again, the pressure in the bladder is back up to 44 psi.

If there is a leak in the bladder, wouldn't I see water when I let air out of the value. What else could be the problem?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
If you cannot maintain a steady consistent pressure in your bladder tank with gauging the pressure with the tank completely empty then there is a chance the bladder is leaking, there just isn't enough water yet to reach where the schrader valve is. Drain it again, disconnect piping from tank and see if it is retaining water after you believe it is completely drained.

homebody

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have two follow-up questions:

1) What is the typical lifespan for a bladder tank?

2) If the typical tank lasts longer than 5 years, is H2OW-TO a lower-quality brand? What would be a better tank to purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
All dependent on water quality and as far as the quality of tank, I believe that is a big box brand tank. Sta-Rite, Myers are a couple brand names that comes to mind that have a good reputation in the business of bladder tank products. Depending on where you live, if there are any rural parts of the like places like agricultural stores or tractor supply stores might have what your looking for.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I have never heard of the tank you mentioned. I think Rugged is right on the big box theory.

We replace more big box tanks than all the other brands combined. This might tell you something of the quality.

If you want to learn more about bladder tanks how to set them up, adjust the pressure switch etc.
bob...

Last edited by a moderator:

homebody

Reaction score
can you elaborate on what you mean by big box brand? I bought the box at Menards, and it was the only brand they carried at the time.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't know what Menards is. We apparently don't have them in my area.

The big box stores are Home Depot, Lowes, Sears etc. They sell in quanity, but the quality is not the same as you would get from a contractor IMO.

bob...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Menards is a home center...I've seen them in Michigan. You're right, the quality of the stuff they carry is just okay, in my opinion.

homebody

Reaction score
Bladder

As of yet, I still have not seen water in the bladder, after resetting the psi several times. Is it still everyone's opinion that it is a bad bladder?

Speedbump

Reaction score
From your original post that would be my opinion. Not everything you say makes sense completely. But that's all I can conclude from what you told us.

bob...

FredWalter

Reaction score
homebody said:
I have a H2OW-TO pressure tank. I installed it about 4-5 years ago and did not have issues until recently.

I have a H2OW-TO HT-32 pressure tank, and I have the same story. I installed mine around 4-5 years ago, and last year I discovered that the bladder was torn (water came out of the air pressure valve, when I went to go check the air pressure). I thought the tank had only a 3 year warrantee (because that's what the guys at Home Depot told me), so I have been adding air to it every so often for the last year or so. Today I phoned up the manufacturer and was told that the tank had a 5 year warrantee. Now, if only I could find my receipt!

Next time I buy a pressure tank, I'm buying one that will let me replace the bladder if (when!) it tears.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Next time you go to the big box store to buy a tank, get the Flotec. It won't last much longer than a year and a half. The Well-X-Trol under another name and cheapened up a bit I suspect since yours only lasted three years is actually better.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks