Pressure booster systems

Users who are viewing this thread

dontknowyet

Reaction score
Hello. I now have a Grundfos MQ3-B 45 1 HP AIO. The circuit control panel got wet when a connection broke and stopped working. I paid only 419.00 with ree shipping 1-1/2 years ago. The new circuit board will cost $260, $289.00 and someone wanted $389.00. I can now purchase a new one foe 399.00 with free shipping. Ater looking at the parts price list, I find that it is best for me to move on to a different system. Perhaps someone who does not price gouge on parts.

I have a 3 story vacation home in Mexico. 3 full baths with 4 showers,water pressure is gravity pressure from a roof top water tank. An outside pump will pump water from a underground cement cistern up to the roof tank then down to the pressure unit, then the water goes through 2 Big Blue water filters and 1 UV water purifier and finally to the user.

Does anyone know of system that can work as well as the AIO unit Grundfos MQ, but is built better and replacement parts, can be bought through many places without the high cost that one manufacturer charges? Thank you for you help. Joe Talla

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
I am very familiar with that pump having installed many of them. Please explain to me how that board got wet? I would have thought there was some kind of seal to make it water resistant. Did the pump actually go under water?

Some people like using a Davey Pump.

Personally, if that is the best price you can get on the board, I would just buy another new pump so you can avoid the hassles and have a full warrantee.

dontknowyet

Reaction score
pressure booster

A plastic check valve broke and had about 15 seconds of water pouring out onto the pump. No, there is no seal/gasket on the most important part, the circuit board cover. The replacement parts list shows that the parts cost way too much.
If you have installed many of these, do you know how long they last?

I want to install a new booster system. One that will be easier and cheaper to repair. Perhaps one that does not require a circuit board. Any help? Thanks

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't understand why your pumping up to another cistern then back down to a booster pump to pressurize the home. Did I get this right??? Wouldn't one pump do the same thing without the tank on the roof?

A regular Jet Pumps with a pressure switch and Bladder Tank with the help of a Cycle Stop Valve would give you great pressure throughout the home by simply pulling from the cistern already on/in the ground. Use the links to see these simple devices that require no electronics, or proprietary parts.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:

dontknowyet

Reaction score
roof tank

The roof tank is used when the pressure pump breaks or loss of power. We would have atleast a tank full of water with no power.

Parts are hard to come by in Mexico. This last visit, when the pressure pump broke, we were still able to use the water mostly at the lowest level because of the roof tank.

Thank you for the information and I will purchase these items that you mention but, one more question. Will that system protect th pump from dry run damage, or do I need another type of switch? Thanks again. Joe

Speedbump

Reaction score
A simple Float Switch and a contactor can protect the pump from running dry and you could still use your other pump and roof tank by it'self when needed. Just keep it full in case of power failure. Then use the new system pulling from the cistern to power the home.

bob...

Last edited:

dontknowyet

Reaction score
I am having a problem putting together a constant water pressure system. With the information below, would you put a system together for me? Would I be able to use a small tank, maybe 2 or 4 gal.?

I have a 3 story vacation home in Mexico. 3 full baths with 4 showers,water pressure is gravity pressure from a roof top water tank. An outside pump will pump water from a underground cement cistern up to the roof tank then down to the pressure unit, then the water goes through 2 Big Blue water filters and 1 UV water purifier and finally to the user.

Does anyone know of system that can work as well as the AIO unit Grundfos MQ, but is built better and replacement parts, can be bought through many places without the high cost that one manufacturer charges? Thank you for you help. Joe Talla

I forgot to mention that I also have 2 Big Blue 20" 5 micron filters on the roof that clean the water before it goes into the roof tank and 1 Big Blue 20" and another 10" Big Blue with a different element inside it, after the pump. Although it sounds like over kill, I have had to clean shower heads after 2 showers before these filters were installed. Now when I check the shower screens, they are clean. After all of that, the water still goes through the UV unit.

Thanks. Joe Talla

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Any pump with a circuit board was made for the manufacturer to make money on a regular basis, not to last a long time for the home owner. The Davey pump is no different. With either one of these pumps, a leak of less than ½ GPM will quickly destroy the pump from excessive cycling. I would use any regular jet pump, with a small tank, and regular pressure switch. Then if you want constant pressure, you can turn the pressure switch up to almost the max level of the pump, or use a Cycle Stop Valve between the pump and pressure tank.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you mean in my suggested system. It would go at the cistern. Preferably in the cistern. It will be in a submersible pump when purchased or it will have to be added to the pump or put in the tank on pipe with a jet pump.

bob...

dontknowyet

Reaction score
another question

I already have one installed in tha cistern and intend to remove any others. I still want to try to repair the Gundfos MQ3 pump. I found someone willing to sell the circuit board for 140 dollars, not bad. If I get this pump running again, it will be my backup pump.

I also want to purchase a capacitor for the Gundfos here in the states as parts are very hard to get in Mexico. This is what is states on the old capacitor. UF30 (60HZ) Sintex 25 D2A30 AC 250V B 25/85/21 EN 602524 Phase 1 It has 3 wires connected to it with 4 inline male plugs at the top. 3 wire are connected to 3 of the 4 male plugs. Size of the capacitor is maybe 1-1/2 X 3 or 4 inch. How do you read this thing? Thanks again. At Gundfos, they want 68 dollars + shipping, way over priced.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If that's a 30 MF run cap, I sell them for $21.00.

I'm not sure I would want to put another dime in a pump that cost that much to repair.

bob...

dontknowyet

Reaction score
part/question

Thanks again. I will think about that for awhile. I just hate to throw away a 400 pump. Replacing the 2 parts would cost 161 dollars + shipping. Considering that is only 2 parts, and the replacment cost is just a few dollars short of half the cost of a new unit then, yes it is too much.

I read somewhere on your sight that using a small tank would speed up wear to the motor. If true, what size tank would work better to help the motor last longer? Although I need to purchase everything here in the states except the tank, unless it is a small tank, I think that I can purchase a larger tank in Mexico. I need to bring these parts on the airplane.

A new set up would cost maybe 800/1000 dollars plus buying a back up motor too. Does this seem about right? Anyway, thank you for help. Joe Talla

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you buy a good pump you wont need another motor for at least 15 years. The tank size isn't that important if you use a cycle stop valve. The pump will have to be tricked up a bit to make it work good with the csv.

bob...

dontknowyet

Reaction score
Just about ready to buy

Okay. First choice, purchase a Gould JS10 jet pump and change the jet on this to a high pressure type, don't know if jet change is easy,a 2 gallon bladder tank, a pressure switch and your adjustable CSV. This pump also comes with an attached pressure switch. I think that I read here on this sight that the preesure switch should be mounted even closer to the tank instead of on the motor.

Or,purchase a Franklin FVJ1Cl jet pump. Both pumps are 1 hp,115volts. This pump comes with interchangable jets. Sounds as if it is very easy to change pump jet.Both pumps cost nearly the same.

My water supply comes from the roof of 2nd story, some pressure. If the water comes from the roof, doesn't this mean that I do not need a check valve?

Is the 2 gallon bladder too small, if so, then what size?

Would a jet pump and flow switch work instead of the system above? If a flow switch turns on the pump when a faucet is opened and off when closed, then, why will this set up not work?Again,the water suppy will be coming from the roof.

If I need a tank, is it okay to empty all the air out of the tank so it will be allowed to travel on the airplane (no pressurize containers allowed ). I need to take this system to Mexico. Thank for helping. Joe

Speedbump

Reaction score
That's a lot of questions in one post so I'll do it this way.

Okay. First choice, purchase a Gould JS10 jet pump and change the jet on this to a high pressure type, don't know if jet change is easy, It's not the jet you want to change, it's the venturi a 2 gallon bladder tank, a pressure switch and your adjustable CSV. This pump also comes with an attached pressure switch. I think that I read here on this sight that the preesure switch should be mounted even closer to the tank instead of on the motor. The switch should be close to the tank. But 5 feet or so is not a problem.

Or,purchase a Franklin FVJ1Cl jet pump. Both pumps are 1 hp,115volts. This pump comes with interchangable jets. Sounds as if it is very easy to change pump jet.Both pumps cost nearly the same.
Why don't you consider one of my pumps, they are probably less money and I can make the change for you. Jet Pumps

My water supply comes from the roof of 2nd story, some pressure. If the water comes from the roof, doesn't this mean that I do not need a check valve? You need a check valve with a tank and switch.

Is the 2 gallon bladder too small, if so, then what size? No it's not too small, but I like the 42 gallon better. The WWT20 is the one I recommend Bladder Tank

Would a jet pump and flow switch work instead of the system above? If a flow switch turns on the pump when a faucet is opened and off when closed, then, why will this set up not work?Again,the water suppy will be coming from the roof. Forget about the roof, it's not important to your setup and it makes no difference except that you will have a flooded suction for the pump. A Flow Switch will work except that; like you said, everytime you open a faucet the pump will cycle. This is not a good thing for the motor.

If I need a tank, is it okay to empty all the air out of the tank so it will be allowed to travel on the airplane (no pressurize containers allowed ). I need to take this system to Mexico. Thank for helping. Joe Sure, as long as you put it back to it's correct pressure when you get to Mexico. You can use Mexican air, it will work just fine.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:

dontknowyet

Reaction score
question

As the nozzle is changed to smaller size, to increase the water pressure, I have read that the flow will change down to much less gpm. And since I have 3 bathrooms with all being used at the same time when we are on vacation, washer and sinks also, will I need a larger pump or a multi stage pump to make up the difference of lost pressure by going to a smaller nozzle? I have maybe 15psi from the roof top water supply. Two story roof.

I still do not want any electronic controller box. I do want to use your adjustible CSV. I'm just trying to cover all the bases because, when I go to Mexico with this set up, I may not be able to get the parts that I need to get it up and running correctly. Thanks. Joe Talla

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks