Pressure Balancing Loop

Users who are viewing this thread

M3

Reaction score
I am installing a Moen Exact Temp shower spa with 4 body sprays and received a plumbing diagram from Moen.. I'm sure Moen does a lot of testing, but I've looked at other Pressure Balancing Loop diagrams and Moen's is different. I've attached their diagram.

Most diagrams I've seen had the supply line entering somewhere in the middle of the loop, then Tee off to left and right... I've called Moen and they say it is correct. I'm using 3/4" copper to the mixing valve and to the flow valves, then 1/2" out of the flow valves to the heads.

Any thoughts? I just don't want to install and have the pressure be off.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Moen-shower-spa-loop.jpg
    Moen-shower-spa-loop.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 8,962

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Pressure will be a constant at all heads , regardless of where the supply T's in, because of the loop. I usually do my T's in the centre of the loops for aesthetic purposes only and nothing more. Just looks neater

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The benefits of a "pressure balancing" loop are vastly overstated, IF you only have a single connection. The only way a balancing loop has a benefit is if the heads are widely separated, OR, in your case, if you tee off after the volume control valve and make a second connection to the riser on the left side. (And in that case the upper and lower horizontal runs are redundant.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks