Pressure assist to gravity. Toilet slow to drain into bowl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Clarkee

Reaction score
My wife and I just bought a new to us, home. The toilet in one bathroom had a sloan power assist flush installed originally, it was not working appropriately and was just over all annoying as the flush was super loud and it had developed a leak. I decided I'd remove the power flush and just put a typical flapper flush and fill valve installation. Picked up a kit with everything I needed and installed it. Got the tank put back on the bowl, this is a kohler toilet by the way. Let it fill up with water and went to flush it, the water took forever to go from the tank into the bowl. I did the bucket test on the toilet and it drains just fine. I can see water coming through the rim jets and i can feel a jet of water down in the trap but no matter what tank adjustments I make, the thing just flushes very slow and never actually creates a cyclone to remove the entire contents of the bowl. If anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it!

Reach4

Reaction score
If I understand correctly, you modified the power flush toilet to use a conventional flush. That is unlikely to work well. Get a new modern toilet. Flush will be good.

Clarkee

Reaction score
The toilet seemed to be retrofitted with the pressure assist flush tank, the reason I figure this is because the original kohler triangular tank to bowl gasket was not there and of course the tank to bowl bolts were not installed correctly. The toilet seemed to be a gravity flush toilet originally. See attached photos, I'm sure the majority of you have seen more toilets than I have and can confirm whether or not I am off base on my assumptions.

Attachments

• Bowl Detail.jpg
    Bowl Detail.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 541
  • Bowl Overall.jpg
    Bowl Overall.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 371
  • Tank Detail.jpg
    Tank Detail.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 460

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 1.4 was a pressure assist. Only Kohler was using a 1.4 GPF, which was done with a restricter on the inlet to the Flushmate. And they have the 3 bolt tank install.

fm-2010-01.jpg

The bowl isn't designed to siphon. The water needs to be pushed through.
I took this picture at the Flushmate factory.

fm_10.jpg

fm-2010-08.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks