Pressure assist comparisons

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard M

Reaction score
Terry,
This is a great forum and your objective knowledge is amazing.
For a variety of reasons, I need to upgrade two toilets to pressure assist. I've read the many pros and cons, but necessity requires the pressure assist in this case.

Probably due to smaller market share, the choices for pressure assist are few and it looks like I'll have to purchase them sight unseen.

I've seen viable options from:
  • Kohler
  • American Standard
  • Gerber
  • Mansfield
As far as I can tell, they all use Sloan Flushmate vessels.
However, design of the porcelain for efficiency and cleaning is a factor that is hard to research.

In your experience, do you have any advice on the four pressure assisted toilets listed here or recommend any others?

Thanks again!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Mansfield doesn't typically get raves on here, for what it's worth. Part of that may be that it's sort of a regional brand, and they do a lot of things sorta-weirdly in some of their gravity toilets. For a while, they offered the option of the reviled WDI pressure-assist unit on some of their pressure-assist toilets. Now, however, it appears from a quick perusal of their spec sheets that all their pressure-assists are different flavors (I, III, IV) of the Sloan Flushmate. If you do go the Mansfield route, I would just make sure that your supplier doesn't stick you with a tank that still has a WDI unit in it; I am sure they are still out there in supply houses. "Look for the Flushmate Sticker" on the in-tank unit.

I don't have enough personal experience to recommend any of the others. I do know that Terry often installs the Glenwall wall-mount AS pressure-assist in locations that need an external-tank wall-mount toilet, but that he has found that the Gerber gravity wall-mount works similarly-well, and so installs a lot of those. (Because they aren't pressure-assisted, they are quieter and less-expensive than the Glenwall.)

I don't want you to feel compelled to explain why you want the pressure-assist -- that's your business -- but I will say that I almost bought one when finally replacing our beautiful Clog-O-Matic Kohler that would clog on anything more than 1 sheet of paper. It looked great, but was a nightmare to use. I finally hit it with a sledgehammer -- very satisfying. Taking Terry's advice, I put in an original Toto Drake instead, and never looked back. It was more than sufficient for our needs, and still is, even though I routinely use prodigious amounts of clog-prone Charmin Ultra Soft.

The Drake has a 10" version, by the way.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pressure assist with the Flushmate will all work well. I like the Kohler models the best for that. It only comes in 12".
Gerber makes a 10" tank that will fit their Ultraflush round, elongated and their ADA bowl.
And like wjandee mentions, if you don't need something commercial, then the Drake works great. Though I do install them in restaurants too.

Richard M

Reaction score
Thanks to you both for the feedback. I see that Mansfield is using Flushmate III now. Also, the Kohler 12" limits my use the 10" room. American Standard seems to have 12 and 14" only... I'll dig a bit further. Lastly, the Gerber looks like a viable option with both 10 and 12" configurations.

I really like the Toto designs that I've seen. Sadly... I think the gravity flush is a non-starter.

Looks like my choices just became clearer. As long as we get a current model Flushmate (no WDI... thanks wjcanee for the warning), we should be OK. I can get replacement cartridges for about $30. Not too bad.

Do you have any experience on the Flushmate part reliability with the more recent III and IV models?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I have to ask why you think you need pressure assist? It does not guarantee a better flush, but does guarantee more noise and more expensive repairs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks