Pressure Assist Aftermarket Kit

Users who are viewing this thread

taostoilet

Reaction score
I am new to this forum so please don't flame me to badly here.

Looked at all the threads and did a search as well and did find some information about pressure assist toilets and a short thread about someone wanting to install something like a Sloan Flushmate - can't be done on a regular toilet and their person said they only sell to oem's.

Question: Are there any aftermarket pressure assist kits that can be installed in a late model Kohler Portrait toilet - circa 1998?

This toilet has never flushed to my satisfaction seemingly always requiring a second or third flush to completely clear.

I was doing a search and ran across something that I thought would work but can't find the site again.

It would seem some enterprising soul out there could make a million and more since there are so many complaints about the "new" low flush toilets needing 2 or more flushes to clear if he or she came up with some simple (?) mechanism like some kind of air assist for existing toilets.

Thank you for any advice/info.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
By no means are all toilets created equal...the older manufacturers still don't all have a clue. Pushing more water quicker may not make a toilet not designed for it to flush any better. I doubt you'd get a satisfactory result with a retrofit. It would probably be cheaper to just buy a new one that actually works.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Before I bought a new toilet, I would try raising the water level in the tank by adjusting the fill valve and/or flapper. Also, there are various ways to clean out the little holes that sometimes get clogged with minerals, etc.

You should be able to significantly improve the flush of your existing toilet by doing those two things, plus what others may tell you here.

PS: How are things up in Taos? I'm building an ark down here in SW NM.

Last edited:

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi
Before replacing my original el cheapo contractor grade toilets, I raised the fill level right to the top edge of the overflow tube, and I adjusted the chain on the flappers so that it was snug at rest (full tank, no flush). Really made a diff, but still not as good as my replacement toilets. I installed a kohler cimmeron, and a toto, and am pleased with both.
Rob

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Bruce Martin, the guy who invented the pressure-assist gizmo now marketed by Sloan, said in 1997 that he was working on a retrofit kit, but I see no indication yet that he's been successful (ref: www.terrylove.com/fh.htm). I've got a first-generation American Standard PA toilet, which flushes great, but has other problems. Since installing a Toto Drake in our other bathroom, I've decided it's toilet design, more than pressure gadgetry, that determines how effective the flush is. Everybody wants a toilet that's attractive, cheap, comfortable, effective, efficient, and quiet. Looks to me like you're lucky to get 3 out of 6. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another thing to check is whether the tank is emptying when you flush. There are sometimes adjustments you can make. On my American Standard there was a little marshmallow size float on the chain, which I moved down to just above the flapper. That made a big difference. Also, try holding the handle down until all of the water exits the tank.

MSanders

Reaction score
That's true. I have an American Standard that has the little float on the chain as well. But when you move it down to just above the flapper you defeat the purpose of saving water. You're then using 3 to 3.5 gal even though it flushes better after this.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
MSanders said:
That's true. I have an American Standard that has the little float on the chain as well. But when you move it down to just above the flapper you defeat the purpose of saving water. You're then using 3 to 3.5 gal even though it flushes better after this.

If you have to flush 2 or 3 times to get everything to go down, you're not saving any water anyway.

MSanders

Reaction score
I have one of those AS Cadet 2001 model toilets. And it's almost impossible for it to remove all the waste without holding the handle down for a 3 gal flush. It's fine for liquids though. So yeah I'm not saving as much water as I could but it's once a day or every other day that it's used for waste.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks