Premier Showerhead leaking (Premier Sonoma single handed valve)

Users who are viewing this thread

Sparty007

Reaction score
All,

Thanks for all the great advice - you've given me (and others I have used) over the years as a DIY homeowner. A few years ago my wife and I had our first child and moved into a brand new construction home and thought my DIY days were over...... so the shower saga begins.

Builder installed these shower valves (2 in the master shower)

All was fine until we were experiencing water hammer, called a local plumber and he came out and got it to go away by plying with the internal stops (not 100% sure what he did) but it stopped. A few weeks later the shower head in question started leaking/dripping slowly but enough to be an issue. Called the plumber back again and he claimed it was the cartridge (on this valve a washerless cartridge). After 5 times back with the wrong cartridge he claims he installed the new cartridge and the leak continues so he said it must be the shower valve is defective and needs to be replaced.

Any advice if that seems reasonable or should I try to pull the cartridge and re-install? Are there any tips/tricks to look for or things I should be before swapping out the shower valves (would go with a more established/reliable brand).

Sorry - if any other info/pictures would be helpful let me know. I'm looking to tackle this over the Holiday when I have some time off work. If its a full on swap of the valves I'll be hiring a plumber as of course there are no access panels and one valve is on an exterior wall.... (sigh).

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would bet that the cartridge is the reason for the drip. Not knowing what cartridge your plumber installed, I would say stick with original parts.

Call Premier and see if they would provide a replacement cartridge under their lifetime warranty. Chances are they will, to preserve their good name.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks