Premier PEX Fittings Leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

ArayT

Reaction score
Anybody had issues with Premier fittings. House was built approx 12 years ago and this is the second leak, both are Premier fittings, corroding. These are installed through the two story house. Bathroom floor flooded first time (10-12 months ago) same bathroom ceiling this time. Should I start removing the ones that are accessible, if so what is recommended. I could not find any info on Premier. Any help would be appreciated.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
They're brass I assume. There were issues with brass that have been recently corrected by changing the zinc proportion and adding some tin IIRC. If the pH of your water is low, all your fittings are compromised at this point, not just the accessible ones.

John

ArayT

Reaction score
JohnCT thanks for the reply. Do you have a preference for replacement? I'll need to get the PH checked. Yes agree about those not accessible. I cannot find any info on this manufacturer (Premier). If I knew they had issues I would start changing them out. Appreciate any advise.
Ray

Fitter30

Reaction score
Builder still in business they should know the plumbing company was. Good possibility premier could of been bought out by another manufacturer. Larger libraries carry a book that lists companies tells what they make and their finances it might be Thomas and its dark green in color maybe have older books.

ArayT

Reaction score
Thanks fitter30, unfortunately I'm the builder. The plumbing supply company closed doors approx 8-9 years ago. I believe the book you're thinking is Thomas Register, haven't seen those in years but believe they are still around. Sounds like a good start. Do you have a recommendation for replacement?
Thanks Again, Ray

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
mostly I see Uponner expansion . total repipe probably the answer. I suppose the manufacture might have a warranty if still in business wouldn't hurt to look

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
JohnCT thanks for the reply. Do you have a preference for replacement? I'll need to get the PH checked. Yes agree about those not accessible. I cannot find any info on this manufacturer (Premier). If I knew they had issues I would start changing them out. Appreciate any advise.
Ray

I'm not a pro, so I would defer to suggestions from others like Terry and a bunch of seasoned pro folks here. Like you, I do my own work. My personal preference is Uponor Propex expansion with the poly fittings, but I have a well with low pH. I added an acid neutralizing tank after I got pinholes in my kitchen ceiling copper - too late to help the rest of the copper. With the tank, I'm probably OK with copper now, but I went with Uponor PEX A and poly fittings.

John

Duncan1

Reaction score
Anybody had issues with Premier fittings. House was built approx 12 years ago and this is the second leak, both are Premier fittings, corroding. These are installed through the two story house. Bathroom floor flooded first time (10-12 months ago) same bathroom ceiling this time. Should I start removing the ones that are accessible, if so what is recommended. I could not find any info on Premier. Any help would be appreciated.

Duncan1

Reaction score
I realize I am late here but I had Premier brass PEX fittings in my 2010 home and the failures and leaks have been a nightmare. The zinc buildup from dezincification blocked flow and caused clamp bands to pop and leaks occurred, primarily in hot circuit. I have torn apart walls and floors to replace all fittings on hot circuit with plastic expansion type. There have been Class Action lawsuits against NIBCO and Zurn but not Premier to my knowledge. I have spent $thousands on repairs. Let me know where you are with this dilemma.

ArayT

Reaction score
I haven't had anymore leaks. I repaired those referenced earlier and keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again. I recommend taking pictures of all the work you've accomplished just in case a lawsuit is eventually filed. Good luck!

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I haven't had anymore leaks. I repaired those referenced earlier and keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again. I recommend taking pictures of all the work you've accomplished just in case a lawsuit is eventually filed. Good luck!

Have you had water analysis done to see if your water was degrading the brass fittings?

John

ArayT

Reaction score
I did not check it for that reason. I'm on a well and had it checked several years prior and nothing was flagged as being an issue except the water was considered a little hard.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I did not check it for that reason. I'm on a well and had it checked several years prior and nothing was flagged as being an issue except the water was considered a little hard.

Sometimes water changes over time, especially when a new well sunk by a neighbor or even half a mile away can tap the same aquifer that you're in.

A basic pH test would probably be enough. If the water is about 7 pH, then the fittings themselves could be degrading without a water issue causing it. If that's the case, I'd be concerned about the rest of the fittings. If it's a water issue, then resolving the chemistry will stop further failures.

John

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Wasn't there a problem with Uponor expansion pipe?

Yes, but it's a small percentage of pipe and OP didn't seem to have any problem with the PEX, only corroding Premier brand fittings.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks