Premier Bayview Shower Water Handle - Can I do this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
My regards to all.

Son in law is renting a TH and somehow!!! someone broke off the water supply handle for the shower. He's unable to work and I'm retired with only SS income = necessity to be frugal.

Please refer to the attached photos. I'm not familiar with this type of setup. The 'name' on the plate seems to read 'UPC'. The white plastic that joins the handle and the plumbing was snapped into two parts.

So, it seems as though if we could find a replacement part that the portion that's still on 'the wall' could be removed with a socket wrench and the new assembly 'simply' screwed back in. (this is a dream I have). However, I suspect that there is more to getting this repair done.

Regardless, is this a fairly straight forward repair that I should be able to handle (I've dealt with several plumbing issues before but I don't have a great deal of experience).

This is the only bathroom available to him and his son. So, time to repair is also important which leads me to ask about a recommendation for buying the parts and for any alternatives.

Also, is there a temporary work around to get the water flowing until this is resolved?

Any and all comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Snorp

Plate.jpg
Handle.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The handle is secured with an Allen wrench, accessed by removing the blue/red cap on the handle. It looks like the end part of the cartridge snapped off and is still in the handle A new cartridge will easily fix that. Now we need someone to post what cartridge that is. :)

UPC just means it's approved. A very common stamping.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hmm.. sticky situation. That may be the landlords responsibility... but if you don't want to involve them I could understand. You'd be lucky if the shower valve has integrated isolation valves behind the chrome trim plate, since its a townhome I doubt the builder went to the added expense. Also, since its a townhome you will want to verify if it has its own water shut off valve. And if it does verify whether its CPVC. If it is CPVC.. don't touch it, its too risky.

I'm not familiar with the brand of shower that is. But if you find it.. you may be able to call the manufacture and have them send a new cartridge. They may decide to send it free of charge. Removal, once you have the water shut off, should be simple and probably instuctions will come from the manufacutre with the part.

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Hmm.. sticky situation. That may be the landlords responsibility... but if you don't want to involve them I could understand. You'd be lucky if the shower valve has integrated isolation valves behind the chrome trim plate, since its a townhome I doubt the builder went to the added expense. Also, since its a townhome you will want to verify if it has its own water shut off valve. And if it does verify whether its CPVC. If it is CPVC.. don't touch it, its too risky.

I'm not familiar with the brand of shower that is. But if you find it.. you may be able to call the manufacture and have them send a new cartridge. They may decide to send it free of charge. Removal, once you have the water shut off, should be simple and probably instuctions will come from the manufacutre with the part.

Thank you Mr. Tuttles. That was very helpful.

Regards,

snorp

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
The handle is secured with an Allen wrench, accessed by removing the blue/red cap on the handle. It looks like the end part of the cartridge snapped off and is still in the handle A new cartridge will easily fix that. Now we need someone to post what cartridge that is. :)

UPC just means it's approved. A very common stamping.

Thank you very much. My fingers are crossed - difficult to type this way though.

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mr. themp.

I really appreciate your time and effort. Let's see what happens when the old one is removed.

Thanks again.

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score

Mr. Marlinman:

A question - the photo of the part differs from the photo I posted.

Is this possibly because the part photo from premier includes the "stop" - which I'm completely ignorant of? My son in law didn't mention anything about having or seeing another part.

Can I assume that the Premier part shown is the actual part needed and that my 'blessed' son in law just ignored the fact that there was indeed another part that he didn't tell me about? I think that this is the case - please confirm.

With my regards

Snorp

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Cartridge with stop? Or the stops on the incoming lines to the valve?

The stop(s) are normally just fine, if you have them behind the wall plate. Nice to have if you can't shut water off to the unit in a condo.
Some condo's have an individual shutoff for the unit, other times you need to shut down the building if that is not the case.

The cartridge parts are likely all you need.

premier-133504-cartridge.jpg

premier-133505-balancer.jpg

Last edited:

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
My regards to all.

Son in law is renting a TH and somehow!!! someone broke off the water supply handle for the shower. He's unable to work and I'm retired with only SS income = necessity to be frugal.

Please refer to the attached photos. I'm not familiar with this type of setup. The 'name' on the plate seems to read 'UPC'. The white plastic that joins the handle and the plumbing was snapped into two parts.

So, it seems as though if we could find a replacement part that the portion that's still on 'the wall' could be removed with a socket wrench and the new assembly 'simply' screwed back in. (this is a dream I have). However, I suspect that there is more to getting this repair done.

Regardless, is this a fairly straight forward repair that I should be able to handle (I've dealt with several plumbing issues before but I don't have a great deal of experience).

This is the only bathroom available to him and his son. So, time to repair is also important which leads me to ask about a recommendation for buying the parts and for any alternatives.

Also, is there a temporary work around to get the water flowing until this is resolved?

Any and all comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Snorp

View attachment 71944 View attachment 71945

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
My primary problem is my ignorance. I'm not familiar at all with recent shower faucets and cartridges. What I thought would be a 'stop' apparently isn't.
Setting that aside,

My concern is that the part 133504 doesn't look like the photo I uploaded of the broken off cartridge. Ref - my initial post.

I'm going to upload a photo of part 133504 as advertised on the web. Please note the red circular section of the part.

Now, my photo shows nothing like this but it appears that something would be needed to mate with the 'grooves' seen in my original photo.

So, does 133504 work for my install or not. I suspect that it does and my dear son in law removed the 'red part' and didn't tell me.

I'm right? I'm wrong?
place your bets now please.

With my regards,

Snorp

133504.jpg

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
The red part is the limit stop to keep the water from being to hot and possibly injuring someone. It is easily removed but not recommended.

Thank you Mr. Marlinmen. You've put me at ease as I have ordered the 133504 part and it should be here by Wednesday.

I assume you've compared the two photos - my original photo and the 133504 photo - and have concluded that the 133504 part seems to be the one that will work in my application. I assume then that the red and green parts as seen in the 133504 photo 'recess' when installed. Hence the flush appearance of the red and green in my photo as opposed to the prominence of those parts in the 133504 photo.

Case closed.

With my best regards,

Snorp

premier-133504-cartridge.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks