Preferred way to plumb double bowl kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Jm66208

Reaction score
...with only one trap. Will have disposer. Never really settled in on favorite way to do this. Some designs are noisy on the non disposer side. Others cause water to come up other side.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sink_dw.jpg

I normally use one p-trap with a disposer kit. The kit comes with a baffle tee.
I good disposer like the Insinkerator Pro series are very quiet.

disposer_sea.jpg

Last edited:

Jm66208

Reaction score
The long drop on the non disposer side causes the water to sounds like a "boy peeing in the toilet". Thats what i was told...

Reaction score
Others cause water to come up other side.
Really? Where have you heard this? Reference please.

A lot of double kitchen sinks are installed with a single trap, this is the norm.

I normally use one p-trap with a disposer kit.
Terry is correct. The disposer is usually always installed on the side without the trap, and we don't disturb the existing p-trap.

Or stick with individual traps for each basin...
Unnecessary, but in the end, it's how much time and money you want to put into this.

Asktom

Reaction score
Put the stopper in the well opposite the disposer and you will only hear garbage grinding.

Jm66208

Reaction score
The problem is that i am not using a baffle tee, and the drop to the water level in the p trap is a long distance on the non disposer side. The baffle breaks the fall and eliminates the noise. Problem solved!
Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks