Preferred niche manufacturer or build it yourself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Stephenson

Reaction score
Hi,

Have a separate thread on the same shower install, but this is such a specific topic, I thought it might be better to ask via another thread.

There are several manufacturers of prebuilt niches, some require attachment to framing, some don't. Some have fabric pre connected and some don't.

I have also seen where folks build their own out of 2x4 stock on sides and CBU across the back and then attach to the framing.

I am putting CBUs on framing and then Redgard ...

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Stuff

Reaction score
I like something that attaches to framing as it feels more solid. Even the plastic ones can flex a bit until they are screwed down. You can get ceramic glue-ins but are smaller and I think they only look good in white or retro installs.

DIY means spending a lot more time with taping corners but you get the exact size you want.

Stephenson

Reaction score
Thanks, Stuff!

I'm thinking same thing ... I recall now building one a few years ago ...

Another question sort of related - given my access to everything in this shower, could I just use poly behind the CBUs and skip all the Redgard? (I have lots of thick poly) ...not sure how I treated the CBU inside the niche that is against the existing wall on the last one ... skip the poly on the back side and just run it under the niche sloped downward?

I may should be asking this on the john bridge forum :)

Stuff

Reaction score
Poly is much easier to install. Doing it correctly around a niche is a great question for John Bridge.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A niche can be problematic depending on how much spray it can get. YOu must slope the lower horizontal surfaces so water doesn't pool inside of them. You really DO want to waterproof it on the surface and part way out onto the surrounding cbu. I much prefer making the whole shower waterproof (cbu is not waterproof, just not damaged by being wet), and with the pocket and shelf in a niche, it can hold water if not installed properly...plastic sheeting behind it once you've punctured it with the screws may not suffice to protect your framing. This can be done with RedGard, but I like other products better. SHeet membranes are my preference over liquid, paint on stuff.

Premade ones can work, IF they are the size and shape you want. Lots more flexibility if you make it exactly the size and shape you wish.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks