Pre-Treatment for Ultra Filter that will be used to remove clay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Npn

Reaction score
We had our well drilled deeper and now have clay in the water. We have run it for about a week and it's gotten a little better but still ranges from a darkish gray to a lighter gray, but no were near transparent when you fill a glass. See the image below.
Our well driller is very confident that an ultra filter will turn this into clear water. We have not started to run water into the house yet. While I would be interested in anyones experience with a similar situation, I am really wondering about the pre-treatment options.
We currently have a sediment cartridge filter usually loaded with a coarse cord filter, followed by a green sand filter with chlorine injection (for sulfur) and finally a softener. The plan is to add the Ultra filter after the softener. Does anyone have any experience with a setup like this?

IMG_2876.HEIC.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
Has one of those glasses been sitting there undisturbed for a week?

Npn

Reaction score
Has one of those glasses been sitting there undisturbed for a week?
The first one was one of our first samples and has being sitting for over a week, so some evaporaton and not sure if it has ever been disturbed.
The next 2 are probably a week old sitting in the garage. Last picture is a sample from this am and the same sample in the first picture just "carefully" move outside next to the last sample.

Attachments

• IMG_2891.jpg
    IMG_2891.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2890.jpg
    IMG_2890.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2893.jpg
    IMG_2893.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 77

Npn

Reaction score
The first one was one of our first samples and has being sitting for over a week, so some evaporaton and not sure if it has ever been disturbed.
The next 2 are probably a week old sitting in the garage. Last picture is a sample from this am and the same sample in the first picture just "carefully" move outside next to the last sample.
If we empty a glass that has been sitting for a day or some there is clay on the bottom

Reach4

Reaction score
"We had our well drilled deeper and now have clay in the water. We have run it for about a week "
24 hours per day to the ditch, or an hour per day, or something in between?

Npn

Reaction score
"We had our well drilled deeper and now have clay in the water. We have run it for about a week "
24 hours per day to the ditch, or an hour per day, or something in between?
We ran it for about 10-12 hours a day at about 1.5 - 2 GPM (its low yield)

Reach4

Reaction score
I have no experience, but I remember reading a suggestion to pump at a higher rate until the well runs dry. Then turn off the pump to let the well recover. Repeat.

A pump protector that shuts off the pump automatically makes that easier.

Npn

Reaction score
I have no experience, but I remember reading a suggestion to pump at a higher rate until the well runs dry. Then turn off the pump to let the well recover. Repeat.

A pump protector that shuts off the pump automatically makes that easier.
I am Planning on having that installed, but don't have one yet ... I was thinking I would try running it dry tomorrow ... I can baby sit it, I think it only takes a couple of hours to run it dry ... I think I have about 400 gallons in the well and only about 2 GPM recovery.

Npn

Reaction score
@Reach4 I am going to reply here to your comment in my other post (attached below), since I think it fits into this discussion.
Untitled 3.jpg

Right I don't expect the greensand too remove the clay, I am wondering if this might be good for pre-treatment for an Ultra filter which is sub micron.

I saw a recommendation to have a 5 micron filter in front of the UF. We currently have a greensand filter with a chlorine pump to remove sulfur. I know the greensand is not 5 micron but was wondering what it was, I could not find any info as to what size particle it could filter.

I was thinking of adding a 5 micron cartridge filter after the greensand filter and before the Ultra filter, but the will driller thinks the cartridge would be clogged pretty quickly with the clay, which seems weird to me since if it can clog it it must be filtering it, no?

Someone mentioned Turbidex media which claims to filter down to 5 micron, so we were thinking of switching from greensand to that, but not sure how that would fit in with the chlorine pump for the sulfur.

An as far as the flocculant, our normal water treatment pro has talked about Alum and a contact tank either as a pre-treatment for a UF or a stand alone treatment. I don't think he thinks the standalone treatment with Alum would be 100% effective.

So the UF seems like a good choice if it truly works, but it is super expensive and replacing the membrane is also super expensive. So if we go this way I want to find a pre-treatment option that will help protect the membrane so that it lasts as long as possible.

Reach4

Reaction score
I did not find a number for greensand. For Katalox Light they says < 3 microns, but I wonder if they exagerate. https://www.watchwater.com/katalox-light.html
A micron is the same as a micrometer (µm).

Filtering out the bigger stuff first certainly seems like the deal. Maybe the backwashing filter, then a 1 micron or even 0.1 micron and then the expensive cartridge make sense. I am not a pro.

Let's hope that your well guy is right, and "developing" the well will wash a bunch of that stuff out.

Npn

Reaction score
I did not find a number for greensand. For Katalox Light they says < 3 microns, but I wonder if they exagerate. https://www.watchwater.com/katalox-light.html

Filtering out the bigger stuff first certainly seems like the deal. Maybe the backwashing filter, then a 1 micron or even 0.1 micron and then the expensive cartridge make sense. I am not a pro.

Let's hope that your well guy is right, and "developing" the well will wash a bunch of that stuff out.
Thanks @Reach4 the Katalox Light is very interesting seems like it would address the sulfur as well as meet the spec for the feed to the UF.

Npn

Reaction score

BTW, my work involves designing circuits with transistors and wires measured in the nanometer range, so a micron is HUGE to me :)

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks @Reach4 the Katalox Light is very interesting seems like it would address the sulfur as well as meet the spec for the feed to the UF.
KL often is helped when the water is dosed with H2O2 or chlorine bleach. For it to work without any injection I think relies on the water having O2 content.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks