Pre insulated PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

Mar3232

Reaction score
If I go below the frost line for a water line to my garage, do I need this expensive insulated 3/4" PEX ?

Says 350 bucks for 100 feet.

Or can I just use regular PEX ? Can I just insulate it as it rises above the freeze line instead ?

THANKS.

Reach4

Reaction score
Says 350 bucks for 100 feet.

Or can I just use regular PEX ? Can I just insulate it as it rises above the freeze line instead ?
You can use regular PEX below the frost line. You can also use cheaper ASTM D2239 sized polyethylene as is commonly used for lines coming in underground from wells. I don't know in practice if the poly can come into the house even an inch. I know that there can be some overboard interpretation of rules. With PEX, you could be OK at the house, even with nutsy interpretations. You could use copper to get outside of the house foundation, and then transition to poly.

Also note that insulation will not stop freezing. It will only slow freezing, unless you can keep a flow going. So there must be a source of heat, or the water should stay below the frost line, as it would with a freezeless yard hydrant.

Mar3232

Reaction score
I'm going into a basement wall on one end with the pex and was wondering if there is some sort of fitting or surround that would make a nice clean
entrance into the cinder block. Like maybe something round with a 1" hole in the middle that you feed the pex through, and then can seal the perimeter with caulk (and maybe cement screws?) does anything like this exist?

on my well they just filled foam around where the pipe went in.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you want one inch, I would mortar in a piece of 1 inch PVC, which has a 1.049 inch hole.

Mar3232

Reaction score
Alright -- sounds great and then just silicone around the pex I assume. Is it a tight fit? Or a a bit loose? THANKS !

Reach4

Reaction score
I have no experience with that. But I think silicone would be good, but there are other elastic seals. There is the potential for a leak between the concrete and PVC. Extend the PVC and use hydraulic cement. I think I would tilt the pvc slightly upward on the way in. I would use silicone outside between the PVC and the PEX. Sealing outside is more important than sealing inside.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/water-line-foundation-penetration-call-back.59292/
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-i-have-water-flooding-my-basement.49621/

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
One thing you have to remember about insulation is that it does nothing to make anything warmer. Any heat that is trapped inside an insulated space came from somewhere else. A pipe or and outbuilding can be inulated to the max, but it will still freeze if a source of heat is not provided.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks