Pre-Glue Up Check: Will this stack pass inspection?

Users who are viewing this thread

DuncanG

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I've added a separate shower to the bathroom above this laundry/utility so needed to rework the stack by adding a 2" san-tee.

This what I've ended up with, wanted to do a quick check to make sure it's up to snuff.

Top right is a toilet, 3" ABS, 90 to 45 to Wye - this is what I'm most concerned about, in order to not have the toilet drain piping low down, I ran it at the standard slope then a 45 down to the Wye - I think it's ok like this but could do with some reassurance.

Thoughts appreciated!

Attachments

• 20220305_160028~01.jpg
    20220305_160028~01.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 127

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
We vent a toilet by going into a tee, then that allows it to vent. Adding other drainage fittings below we would then want to vent those fixtures separately.
So, no, that is not proper plumbing design.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
We vent a toilet by going into a tee, then that allows it to vent.
A WC doesn't have to comply with the trap weir rule. So if the stack above what is shown is a dry vent, then depending on what is coming in on the two san-tees, and what Canada's vertical wet venting rules are, the WC may be properly vented.

Cheers, Wayne

Bannerman

Reaction score
Ontario Building Code requirements in section 7.5.6.3.

Ontario Building Code DWV venting Requirements

The Horizontal distance of the water closet trap arm (unvented distance) appears to be within the 3.0 to 3.6 metre limit for a 3" diameter pipe, and the vertical drop is within the 1,000 mm vertical limit whereby a vent connection will be required.

As Provincial building code requirements impose minimum standards, local requirements may impose additional requirements that exceed minimums, so your county building inspector may require further amendments before passing the installation.

Your photo appears that you may have cut out a section of a structural floor joist. If so, that would not be in compliance to building code.

Last edited:

DuncanG

Reaction score
Your photo appears that you may have cut out a section of a structural floor joist. If so, that would not be in compliance to building code.
I'm not sure where you're referring to here?

I think it might be a result of a dodgy photo/perspective - I actually sistered these joists to beef them up a little

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks