Practical pressure testing water lines & stop valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Rossn

Reaction score
I am part-way through my re-plumb... got in the 1-1/4 main distribution branch, and cold to some fixtures (shower, tub, lav) connected.

The work completed thus far is 98% copper press (Viega fittings) and the rest PEX-A.

What practical level of testing are you usually comfortable with? Testing with air OK on this type of plumbing?

The inspector doesn't seem to care, knowing it is a remodel and I would see any leaks.

I've run an air test for 1 hr at 60 psi (same as our static pressure), and leaked down 3 psi. I went and closed all the stops and am re-running the test. I have about 9 ball valves for shutting off areas of the house, external hose bibs, etc. There is one Moen Flo, and one new stop valve.

My family has been without water for a few days, and so I need to turn it on this afternoon, but want to be 'comfortable enough'. I will have access to the plumbing for many months, so if any small leak is discovered, it is not a huge deal.

Side note - I don't have a lot of experience with compression fittings. I turned about 220 degrees through a turn, and it was quite tight.... I don't hear any air leaking. Any chance I need to tighten it more?

Reach4

Reaction score
Side note - I don't have a lot of experience with compression fittings. I turned about 220 degrees through a turn, and it was quite tight.... I don't hear any air leaking. Any chance I need to tighten it more?
You could use a bubble solution to check for a leak. That is more sensitive than hearing.

Rossn

Reaction score
fair enough. I just want to be comfortable it doesn't come flying off and flood the place. I'm not sure how uncommon it is to only have to tighten a compression fitting 2/3 of a turn.

Reach4

Reaction score
fair enough. I just want to be comfortable it doesn't come flying off and flood the place. I'm not sure how uncommon it is to only have to tighten a compression fitting 2/3 of a turn.
You mean 2/3 turns beyond hand tight?

Rossn

Reaction score
You mean 2/3 turns beyond hand tight?
Yes

it definitely leaks down much faster (maybe 1 psi/min) when 80 psi. My daughter needs a bath - I don’t think it is a massive leak or I would hear the air rushing. I’m going to hook up the water and keep an eye out. As long as it is a slow leak, I have plenty of time to track it down. If it was an impressed fitting I think it would make a lot of noise.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks