Powering my shed

Users who are viewing this thread

toxicsmoke

Reaction score
Okay so I have 200ft of 10/3UF which I'm planning on useing to power myy shed now I have a 200 amp panel inside and a 200 amp panel outside my outside panel has a 30amp breaker on it that's not being used any recommendations on how I should go about doing this? I will be running a compressor, 3 outlets, and 2 lights, one of thoes outlets will be designated to ny welder , Also my sheds about 125ft from both panels.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Okay so I have 200ft of 10/3UF which I'm planning on useing to power myy shed now I have a 200 amp panel inside and a 200 amp panel outside my outside panel has a 30amp breaker on it that's not being used any recommendations on how I should go about doing this? I will be running a compressor, 3 outlets, and 2 lights, one of thoes outlets will be designated to ny welder , Also my sheds about 125ft from both panels.
What do the welder and compressor draw each? That would be where you'd start. Not sure the question.

Afjes

Reaction score
John post #2 is correct.
You are proceeding backwards. You have not provided the electrical requirements of the compressor nor the welder. Also you have a 125 foot run to either panel and you are using 10/3 with a 30amp breaker. Fitter post #3 makes suggestion to look at voltage drop which you should do for this length of run.

So now you have two issues. How much power do you really need to run the devices and what will be your voltage drop for a 125 foot run.

One more thing. You mention 10/3 - is this 10/2 with ground totally 3 wires or 10/3 with ground totally 4 wires. You will need 4 wires for the run.

Actually another thing to look at. Just because you have space in a panel for a 30amp two pole breaker (or whatever amp breaker you will need for the run) does not mean the panel can handle the load. We have no idea what either panel at this time is utilizing in the way of power so we don't know if there is available power to go to the shed for your requirements.

We have given you recommendations now you have to supply what these devices will be using. as far as the compressor and the welder both should have name plates on them indicating their needs in the way of electrical. This is what you need to go by. Welder and compressor on our end is too general.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks