Power Vent Water Heater Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

brb

Reaction score
Hey Guys! Have a question about venting a Rheem/Richmond power vent water heater. I am in Minnesota and am on the UPC plumbing code. I have all of my measurements figured out for where I want to vent except I just need clarification on two things.

1. If it is not a public walkway, can I vent it out the side of the house where there is a small walkway from the front to the back? It would end up being 20in above the ground and meet the 4ft from everything else. Or since it is still a walkway would it need to be 7ft above the ground?

2. Does it have to be 18in from a inside corner or 4ft? I'm seeing different things.

Thanks!

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you can basically do about anything you want with it as long as their is not some window directly above
the spot... its wise to get it 20 inches up then turn it downwards ....to be sure you are above a snow level....

your biggest probelm you have not thought about is the sound level of the unit....that can be more of an issue
if this is close to other apartments or units...

brb

Reaction score
It will be 20in above the ground which should be more than enough above the snow level. It is a good 5 ft from any window. The noise isn't a huge issue. It's a single family home and it will be in a utility room that is shut off from the rest of the house.

Thanks for the response! Really needed that clarification before I drill a large hole in my stucco.

tuckerdognc

Reaction score
you can basically do about anything you want with it as long as their is not some window directly above
the spot... its wise to get it 20 inches up then turn it downwards ....to be sure you are above a snow level....

your biggest probelm you have not thought about is the sound level of the unit....that can be more of an issue
if this is close to other apartments or units...
It will be 20in above the ground which should be more than enough above the snow level. It is a good 5 ft from any window. The noise isn't a huge issue. It's a single family home and it will be in a utility room that is shut off from the rest of the house.

Thanks for the response! Really needed that clarification before I drill a large hole in my stucco.

Here's my question: We're replacing a 26 year old power vent gas water heater. The installer is coming Thursday (by way of the gas company). I'm being told that the vent for WH needs to be at least 12" above the window. Okay. Why? I cannot find "WHY?" anywhere. It is between 12 and 14 from the inside depending upon where you are measuring. If you're measuring to the wooden frame, the window itself, the middle of the vent, the top of the vent .... but I still can't find anywhere on line that tells me why.... just that it is.... any insight? help? The window slides up and down, never is opened, is actually sealed shut at the time ... the vent is above the window. The window is about 6 feet off the ground at least. It is no where near a bathroom vent or anything that brings air in. So is this like the plastic bag warning to not put it over your kid's head as a toy?

Reach4

Reaction score
Here's my question: We're replacing a 26 year old power vent gas water heater. The installer is coming Thursday (by way of the gas company). I'm being told that the vent for WH needs to be at least 12" above the window. Okay. Why? I cannot find "WHY?" anywhere.
I would have to think it is because of lots of carbon dioxide normally, and low levels of carbon monoxide normally, and lots of carbon monoxide in in a failure mode. Also low amounts of SO2 and NO.

Last edited:

tuckerdognc

Reaction score
But the window isn't opened. The vent is above the window. There are carbon monoxide detectors nearby. 12 inches is required but 10 inches isn't enough? That's what I'm asking. Why? 12?

Phog

Reaction score
Someone did a calculation or performed a test, found the minimum safe stand-off distance for no carbon monoxide entering through a window, and then added a safety margin. The result got written into code. Is meeting code absolutely 100% black and white for proper safe function, in that 10" will never be safe while 12" will? Of course not. Does code take into account that you never plan to open the window? Of course not. It assumes that at some point someone will open the window anyway, not knowing (as you do) it's potentially not safe. The number is what it is, and to willingly not follow code is to take on a huge liability. Carbon monoxide is life and death if you don't follow code and get it wrong.

PS - I don't know if 12" is actually a current number according to present code; just taking your previously stated value and using it as an example

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
But the window isn't opened. The vent is above the window. There are carbon monoxide detectors nearby. 12 inches is required but 10 inches isn't enough? That's what I'm asking. Why? 12?

the power vent water heater really does not put out that much co to worry about
on the outside of your home..... if it is under a window that is always closed and it has been there like that forever...leave it alone...

It sounds to me like the plumber wants to gouge you on some upgrade that has been working just fine for 26 years just like it sits now... this should be grandfathered in because you already have one....

look at the height of your furnace exaust if you have a 90% going out the side of your home
and compare them....

so how much more money does he want to make a project out of this ???

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks