Power vent or Flue vent

Users who are viewing this thread

EMJ

Reaction score
Hi there, I recently purchased a multi family home and I am owner occupying it right now. The house is 100 years old and has an old brick chimney that is unlined. My home inspector recommended I get the chimney lined after purchasing the house.

The home has 2 boilers for heating and 2 hot water heaters (one 50 gallon 11 years old and one 40 gallon 8 years old). All going to the chimney currently. There are 3 chimney flues, one for these 4 heating appliances, one for the fireplace and one that has been shut down/closed up that previously was for some other appliance long ago, I believe an old wood stove.

Once I got the chimney estimates, I have been told by multiple chimney companies that there are too many BTUs going into the one flue and the chimney liner will not be able to handle all of these appliances safely.

I'm trying to decide on the following options and hoping to get some input as to which way I should go

1. Line heating flue with 6" stainless smooth wall liner for 2 boilers and 1 hot water heater, $2800. Open up other flue and line with 4" liner for existing 50 gallon hot water heater, $1800.

2. Line heating flue with 6" stainless smooth wall liner for 2 boilers and 1 hot water heater, $2800. Replace 11 year old 50 gallon hot water with a 50 gallon bradford white power vent type, $2000 plumbing cost (1200 heater + labor and permits) plus $200 electrician cost to install outlet nearby.

Since the water heater is 11 years old I figure its going to need to be replaced soon anyway but the conventional type are much cheaper and don't have all the drilling through the brick foundation cost.

Is there any concern with draft or air quality in having 3 appliances through chimney and one power vented?

Also using electric to vent the appliance is a hassle and will erase any energy efficiency savings I assume. I heard these blowers are also loud too, the basement ceiling is not insulated and the heaters are below the living room area, I am worried it will be too loud when blowing.

On the other hand I don't know if its worth lining this one flue just for one appliance and then I assume I'll have to spend additional money to clean and maintain this flue going forward.

EMJ

Reaction score
The boilers arent near replacement time, less then 8 years old at this point

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks