Power outage now pump runs, tank still empty

Users who are viewing this thread

Damiana Rhoades

Reaction score
Header pretty much sums it up. My power was off about 12 hours. I was at work when it came back on. Got home, turned on a faucet.... heavy dribble. Checked it maybe 3 times over an hour period and that dribble turned to not a drop. Thought the pump lost its prime. When I went out there it took about 2 gallons before it was spurting back at me. Waited for it to prime and listening to it I thought it did. Well, I was right. But still no water. Eventually I just killed the power. If it sits for a while I'll get a dribble back out from my faucets which again dwindles to nothing. That is odd to me. After a bit I checked the tank. Way too light! If it isn't empty it's real close to it. Spoke with my grandmother who built this place with my grandpa before I was born and we decided to try taking out the drain bolt and turning the pump on to see if that might help. Thought it was working. Apparently I was mistaken. Every gauge I've ever put in this pump has broken. Including the one on it now. Noticed 2 of the points were burnt as well. Any minute now the new gauge and pressure switch will be here. But I feel like it isn't going to matter. We've been without water since Wednesday morning. I'm exhausted (I work security, night shift and tourist season is getting started) and I know enough to get by (if that). So I really hope one of you amazing individuals can shed some light. Tbh..... I'm afraid I already know what the problem is. So here's to hoping someone has a better, less stressing explanation.
Oh yeah..... might help if you know a little about what I'm working with.
Shallow well,
I think it's 3/4hp pump which was rebuilt about 3 years ago
20/40........if you need any other specs I'll get them.
Preemptive Thank You for any and all advice. Here's to hoping someone has better news than I'm expecting lol

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If your pump lost prime while the power was out and ran without water, it might have melted down. This is one case where a pressure switch with a low pressure cutoff might have saved the pump.

Damiana Rhoades

Reaction score
If your pump lost prime while the power was out and ran without water, it might have melted down. This is one case where a pressure switch with a low pressure cutoff might have saved the pump.
Idk that I can get one any lower. They only come 20/40, 30/50 & 40/60 right? Mine is 20/40. And I was really hoping I was wrong. But I figured that's what it was. It ran for quite a long while. Though I don't know that it was running dry. It wasn't too dry when I tried to prime it. But I know my luck too so....lol. Thanks for your input. Though I wish it was better news. ♡

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The ones with low pressure cutoff have a little lever on the side. They are available in all pressure ranges. If you lose power and the water pressure drops around 10 PSI below the cut-in, it trips and you need to manually hold the lever "just so" to turn the pump back on.

Damiana Rhoades

Reaction score
The ones with low pressure cutoff have a little lever on the side. They are available in all pressure ranges. If you lose power and the water pressure drops around 10 PSI below the cut-in, it trips and you need to manually hold the lever "just so" to turn the pump back on.

AAAAHHH.....Ok. Nope mine definitely does not have that. This poor little pump is so old. It's been rebuilt 3 or 4 times now if I'm not mistaken. I know I've had it rebuilt 3 times myself. Lol. Thinking I'm just gonna buy a new one. Just read something about Solar Pumps. O_O I'm sure they're hellasiously expensive but sure sounds great. Lol. Thank you for teaching me sometime new and for your time. You are very much appreciated ♡

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks