Power assist vs. regular toilet in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

RBL

Reaction score
We are developing our basement after 11 years in a new house, and need to select a toilet. One plumber advised against a dual-flush in the basement as you don't know what the pitch is like of the main line, and since you don't get much vertical momentum in the basement, it's better to have lots of water to carry the solids through.

Question: is a power assist model with lower water usage (1.28gpf) going to be better at avoiding main line clogs than a regular 1.6 gpf toilet? Or does the power assist only really help get the waste through the bowl, and the main line is better served by a larger water volume?

The model our supplier has proposed is the Vortens Tornado 3138-3471; see http://m.vortens.com/productdetail.php?proId=51 for specs.

Some of Terry's prior posts make me think the power assist will be a good choice, but I'd like to be sure.

All advice appreciated, thanks in advance!

RBL

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Once the water leaves the bowl and loses its initial velocity, the water from a power flush is no differnt than a conventional one. How is a basement toilet any different than one on the first floor of a house with a concrete slab floor? And we do NOT have to make that decision in those houses.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The pressure assist might add 5 to 10 feet of line carry. It will not 'make or break' the deal. The brand of toilet paper is much more important. If your main line does NOT have proper pitch, and no bellies, you probably would already be having problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks