Poured a little grease into disposal and now sink is stopped up

Users who are viewing this thread

Jean forley

Reaction score
Tried boiling water with baking soda and vinegar then boiling water with salt, then Drano. Still clogged. A neighbor took pipes apart to try to help but now pipes are leaking a little and drain still backed up.
Should I go buy a snake? I don’t know how to use it.! Or break down and hire a plumber? I’m in an apt. but they are not offering any service due to covid-19.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
After using Draino on it I would be very careful. That stuff will dissolve skin.
I normally use enzyme drain cleaners that are more preventive, turning grease into carbon dioxide. It's a safer way to deal with grease.

The acid cleaners like Draino can be dangerous.

Hot water if it warms up the grease just flows it down the line a little further. You may be able to remove the p-trap and see if any grease can be scooped out, wearing gloves and eyewear of course. Depending on how much grease is there, perhaps a hand snake.
I don't recommend a power snake to a homeowner as fingers can be broken that way. It's a learned skill, and mistakes happen early and hopefully not repeated often. Always better to watch someone else doing it.
A hand snake is less trouble and also less useful. But for the price of one it could be worth a shot.

Jean forley

Reaction score
After using Draino on it I would be very careful. That stuff will dissolve skin.
I normally use enzyme drain cleaners that are more preventive, turning grease into carbon dioxide. It's a safer way to deal with grease.

The acid cleaners like Draino can be dangerous.

Hot water if it warms up the grease just flows it down the line a little further. You may be able to remove the p-trap and see if any grease can be scooped out, wearing gloves and eyewear of course. Depending on how much grease is there, perhaps a hand snake.
I don't recommend a power snake to a homeowner as fingers can be broken that way. It's a learned skill, and mistakes happen early and hopefully not repeated often. Always better to watch someone else doing it.
A hand snake is less trouble and also less useful. But for the price of one it could be worth a shot.
I would like to write a review about your wonderful website but I still don’t understand it. Anyone can come on here with a random plumbing problem and someone in this forum will respond with a viable solution? All at no cost to the person asking the question?
I don’t understand how this benefits you or others who respond with possible solutions.
I didn’t really know how to post my question with regard to how I wanted my questions answered. I couldn’t post without marking a box so I marked both boxes but I don’t know the meaning of the boxes.
After my problem was resolved, I wanted to write you this response using my computer, but your reply disappeared. But I found the window was still open on my iPhone so I could reply.
One response I got said to call him and he would walk me through it. What? Does that person have way too much COVID time on his hands or is that what this site is all about?
I just know I am thankful.
It’s all a mystery to me.

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Anyone can come on here with a random plumbing problem and someone in this forum will respond with a viable solution? All at no cost to the person asking the question?

Yes, that's exactly what happens. Most people providing answer are plumbers, many retired or semi-retired; others are DIY'ers with experience. The site does generate revenue from the embedded advertisements from other companies though.

One response I got said to call him and he would walk me through it. What? Does that person have way too much COVID time on his hands or is that what this site is all about?

That wasn't a response from anyone but rather one of those embedded advertisements from a sponsor. You would likely have to pay for those services.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Jean,
What you see is what you get. This is a truly amazing and helpful site, and I'm speaking as a homeowner-doityourselfer. I have gotten a great deal of helpful advice here, and so now will try to pay it forward when I have something to help others from time to time.

Going back to one of Terry's comments, I'd second what he says about wearing eye protection if you do take the trap apart. You really don't want to get highly alkaline drain cleaner anywhere on your body, especially your eyes. Be very, very careful, or get a pro to do (and make sure you tell them you used Draino so they can be extra careful.)

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Jean, never use draino as Terry stated .

When we know chemicals were used prior to starting cleaning the drans we add an extra fee because of the dangers to the skin, eyes etc and we have to wear more protection including coveralls

Hot water usually works for a fixture stoppage of grease but on a main sewer the jury is still out whether to use hot or cold water when jetting

Hot water will disolve the grease but when it starts flowing down stream it will adhere to the colder pipes and cause problems further down the line

Cold water will cause the grease to flow in chunks and normally flow away but residue will remain

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks