Poultry house pump advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian Cannon

Reaction score
good morning. I'm installing pumps for my personnel poultry farm and will set for others after mine is done. I have 4 wells that I will have to pump a minimum of 168gpm out of. In your experience what would be my best option for setup? Vfd, CSV or conventional system. Thanks for the help

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Without well data it's impossible to make system suggestions. It's also not clear if you need all 4 wells to feed into a common supply.

You're looking at pulling 42gpm out of each well on average. That's not in the realm of DIY. You should be consulting a professional in your area.

Brian Cannon

Reaction score
Without well data it's impossible to make system suggestions. It's also not clear if you need all 4 wells to feed into a common supply.

You're looking at pulling 42gpm out of each well on average. That's not in the realm of DIY. You should be consulting a professional in your area.

Brian Cannon

Reaction score
I'm not talking about pump curves or feet of head. Im asking about what people have had luck with on larger multiple well systems. All 4 wells will feed all the poultry houses through a 4" main.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
We do lots of poultry farms using CSV's. You can have as many wells working together as you need or have. Just stagger the settings of the pressure switches and CSV's. This way only one well will run if small amounts of water are needed and more well pumps will automatically if needed to meet peak demands.

Here is a review from one of the most recent poultry operations that uses CSV's.

"I am very pleased so far with your cycle stop valve. I wish I had known about it years ago. I am a chicken farmer in North Alabama. I usually have to pull my pump at least once a year. I have ruined several pumps, motors, bladder tanks, pressure switches, capacitors, relays and check valves over the years. I have had to learn more than I ever wanted to know about well systems. My 3hp 35 gpm pump has been running for 72 hours and has not cycled one time. If I can get two years out of it I will be well pleased. Your customer service is great, I forgot the man I talked to but he looked up my pump specs answered my all my questions and was very helpful, even though I am a very small customer. I went to the plumbing store to get new pipe and was telling them what I was going to install and they said I should just install more pressure tanks, I have been down that road. It gives me great satisfaction knowing more than the "experts". I will recommend your product to all my farming friends. Seeing is believing."

Thank You
Greg Heatherly

From this link;
https://cpkits.com/collections/residential-pump-control-valves/products/csv2w-1-25t-25-75

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Brian, have you talked with the Missouri Dept of natural Resources? You can install a pump in your personal well or on the farm you own. However you cross over into being a pump installation contractor when you install a pump for others. Licensing, apprenticeship, testing, and bonding are all involved.

Brian Cannon

Reaction score
Brian, have you talked with the Missouri Dept of natural Resources? You can install a pump in your personal well or on the farm you own. However you cross over into being a pump installation contractor when you install a pump for others. Licensing, apprenticeship, testing, and bonding are all involved.
We have been in the pump buisness for a long time. Got out of drilling when my grandfather died and just kept the pump portion. Do residential, Ag and small commercial wells 50hp and under. We are just getting in to poultry and haven't had any dealings with CSV or VFD. We haven't had a scenario tying 5wells together in this fashion and was wondering what people have done and what's worked or not worked.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
We did this once on a farm we owned in NW Missouri. Like valveman said, you can stagger the pressure settings on the pressure switch on each well. If the 1st well isn't producing enough water, the pressure drops enough the second well cones on and so on.

The commercial duty VFD's such as Yaskawa, can control multiple pumps.

I've also set up systems that turn multiple pumps on and off based on water elevation in a reservoir. I've got systems that pump up to 5,000 gpm set up this way.

So, you have multiple ways to start and stop multiple pumps, basically based on pressure or water elevation in a reservoir.

We don't have near the poultry barns that you do in the Midwest and the south east. But we do have quite a few cattle stockyards and dairies. I've got a pump to install soon on a new additional well at a 5,000 head dairy. I'll probably set it up to turn on and off based on water pressure.

Just installed a second well and pump for a subdivision water system. The original well has a 5 hp pump, the new one had a 7 1/2 hp pump.together they produce about 175 gpm. They pump into a 70,000 gallon reservoir. The reservoir was required to provide fire flow. The well pumps are controlled by float switches in the reservoir. Depending on water level, just one or both pumps run. The water is pumped out of the reservoir into the water mains by a pump skid with four pumps. 2 each 7 1/2 hp pumps, a 20 hp pump and a 40 hp fire flow pump. Pump one turns on at 60 psi and off at 72 psi. Pump Two turns on at 55 psi and off at 65 psi. Pump three is the 20 hp it turns on at 50 psi and off at 60 psi. Finally the fire flow pump (#4) turns on at 40 psi but it doesn't shut off until 65 psi.

Brian Cannon

Reaction score
We did this once on a farm we owned in NW Missouri. Like valveman said, you can stagger the pressure settings on the pressure switch on each well. If the 1st well isn't producing enough water, the pressure drops enough the second well cones on and so on.

The commercial duty VFD's such as Yaskawa, can control multiple pumps.

I've also set up systems that turn multiple pumps on and off based on water elevation in a reservoir. I've got systems that pump up to 5,000 gpm set up this way.

So, you have multiple ways to start and stop multiple pumps, basically based on pressure or water elevation in a reservoir.

We don't have near the poultry barns that you do in the Midwest and the south east. But we do have quite a few cattle stockyards and dairies. I've got a pump to install soon on a new additional well at a 5,000 head dairy. I'll probably set it up to turn on and off based on water pressure.

Just installed a second well and pump for a subdivision water system. The original well has a 5 hp pump, the new one had a 7 1/2 hp pump.together they produce about 175 gpm. They pump into a 70,000 gallon reservoir. The reservoir was required to provide fire flow. The well pumps are controlled by float switches in the reservoir. Depending on water level, just one or both pumps run. The water is pumped out of the reservoir into the water mains by a pump skid with four pumps. 2 each 7 1/2 hp pumps, a 20 hp pump and a 40 hp fire flow pump. Pump one turns on at 60 psi and off at 72 psi. Pump Two turns on at 55 psi and off at 65 psi. Pump three is the 20 hp it turns on at 50 psi and off at 60 psi. Finally the fire flow pump (#4) turns on at 40 psi but it doesn't shut off until 65 psi.
I would really like to do a reservoir tank and use a master level. Just like most things in life I don't have the money sadly. Thanks for your reply.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Harvestore can adapt their silo to a potable water tank. Scafco, a regional grain bin manufacturer has a option to add a liner to their grain bin to turn it into a reservoir.

http://www.scafco.com/upload/userfiles/Grain/Technical_Information/WaterTankBrochure.pdf

http://www.cstindustries.com/produc...ed-to-steel-water-storage-tanks-manufacturer/

The most common above ground water reservoirs in my are are concrete tanks, made by Mt Baker Silo. They started out making dairy silos. I drilled a new well for a subdivision last fall. They are installing two 200,000 concrete reservoirs. Once you get up around a million gallons, steel welded tanks are the most cost effective.

A system that I just installed the well pump on needs just fire flow, no potable water. They are using 6 used 10,000 gallon fuel tanks. This wouldn't work for you though.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
We do dairies, cattle feed lots, hog and chicken farms, fish farms, all kinds of irrigation and potable water systems using CSV's. I have an irrigation system in Florida with 11 water wells scattered many miles apart. These use a CSV and small tank at each well, with the pressure staggered and using 3 PSI between on and off for each pump. There are no wires running between the wells as would be needed with VFD's. There is only 33 PSI difference between only one well running and all 11 running at the same time. And this could be tightened up a lot more if we let a few pumps come on at the same pressure.

One of our oldest systems is a 40,000 head feed yard in Liberal Kansas. They started using CSV's back in 94 to keep from having to replace motors, especially a 100HP turbine motor every 6 months. They even had a spare 100HP motor sitting in the well house ready for the next change out, as the motor was destroyed regularly by all the cycling. I believe that spare motor is still sitting unused in the well house, as they have not burned up a motor since installing CSV's. They have 6 or 7 well tied together by staggering the pressures as we do.

We also replace a lot of VFD's on dairies. The stray voltage from these VFD's cause the cows to reduce milk production, mastitis of the udder, still born calves, and even erases the data on the cows electronic ear tags. All of these problems go away once the CSV's have replaced the VFD's, and milk production has been know to increase by 50% within days.

With the way CSV's control pumps, I would only use a reservoir if the wells could not keep up with peak demands. But if a reservoir is needed, the CSV's can control the well pumps without any wires running from the wells to the reservoir. The pressure switch/pressure tank turns each pump on and off as needed, and the level control in the reservoir simply opens and closes an electric valve at the bottom of the reservoir as needed. I have even done this with float valves when there is no power at the reservoir.

Then CSV's can also control the 4 or so pumps that pump out of the reservoir. You would just need an 80 gallon size pressure tank with 4 pressure switches on it to control 4 pumps with CSV's.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks